SWSoft buying up the world...

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
I really wanted to build a News subforum for this information but didn't want to take the time to ask DirectAdmin staff for permission:

SWSoft bought Plesk a few years ago.

Within the last two weeks they also bought H-Sphere and Ensim. I just found the information last night.

One of their first announcements is that they're going to raise the prices.

Look here and here.

Hooray for DirectAdmin.

And please don't sell out to SWSoft.

Jeff

yes please don't. I don't want a buggy, bloated, and then expensive control panel.

If so I'll go to Plesk.

Right...go against what SWSoft does : decrease retail prices, allow resellers to sell DA, add more features but only the necessities. DA needs a makeover...seriously.

Ya I am already moving away from buggy and bloated cPanel, not wanting to do it again. :) SWSoft will ruin Hsphere which is an excellent program and they will jack the prices up.

I was talking a co-worker who runs Ensim and he's a little nervous about it's recent acquisition... but I guess we'll wait and see! As for me, DA works great! :)

Agreed, Thom.

A lot of us thought that the acquisition by Sun was the answer for Cobalt, but it turned out to be the beginning of the end.

Jeff

Agreed, Thom.

A lot of us thought that the acquisition by Sun was the answer for Cobalt, but it turned out to be the beginning of the end.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I dissagree, certainly Sun EOL'ing Cobalt and Raq's was a bit of a bugger, but look at what surfaced, they opensourced the code, and we now have BlueQuartz out there!

Its not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination and certainly not as easy and friendly as DA, but at least it survived.

my 2 cents

Chris

Washing Machine Blues

Hi Jeff,

I dissagree, certainly Sun EOL'ing Cobalt and Raq's was a bit of a bugger, but look at what surfaced, they opensourced the code, and we now have BlueQuartz out there!

If Bluequartz would have had a MajorDomo implimentation that worked better tha the flawed one from Cobalt, or if anyone had figured out how to have Mailman work on virtual sites, I most likely never would have migrated to DA.

I used to subscribe to the BQ list...and after being told that "no one uses mailing lists" and silly stuff like that, I simply turned it off.

I am always puzzled when folks take a product like majordomo and bastardize it as was done with the RaQs and DA. But, at least with DA I could migrate my lists over with minimal difficulties.

I think one good thing about BQ is that it's open source....but sometimes I wonder if we really do get what we pay for something.

What you get from DirectAdmin is prompt attention to suggestions and problem fixes. What you get from DirectAdmin that BQ doesn't have is a reseller level. And of course the ability to modify text configurations directly and not worry about what's in the system DB files.

These may or may not be important to you.

And have nothing to do with SWSoft buying up other companies.

I just returned from the ISPCon show in San Jose. Where I pointedly ignored everyone in the Plesk booth; even old friends.

I really don't like what they're doing.

Jeff

Back