Do manual DNS changes stick?

RTKS

Verified User
I need to make sure that changes I make to DNS records for a site in DA will stick. That they won't somehow try to resync themselves to the server.

I have an existing server I am migrating off of using Plesk. My new DA server has a domain for hosting DNS.

My plan is to create the site on the new server and then change the DNS entries to point to the old server. I'll also change the life to 15 minutes. Finally I'll change the DNS servers at my registrar and let the net do it's thing for a few days.

Day of the move I'll move the site, change the DNS entried back to point to the new server and I should be all set. Two things can screw me up though so I want to ensure DA won't do the following:

1. Automatically reset DNS entries after a manual change within DA.

2. Change the DNS TTL back to some default setting after I've changed it for the domain in the named file for the domain.

Thanks in advance for the confirmation.

Im about 99.9% certain your *.db files *wont* get rewritten by DA - when it adds records it should just add them - not re-write the whole file... updating the site also shouldnt affect it.. backups should just backup the file as it is.

To check / confirm - add a record to a domain through the domains config (/var/named/*) and try a few tasks in DA :

- "Modify" the account - dont make changes and just click save - check file to ensure record still exists

- Add a record through DA and see if it just adds the line or rewrites the whole config...

I know exactly how annoying this problem is, I experience it daily with ensim production servers. :rolleyes:

Chris

Hello,

Correct, they'll stick. Any changes you make will be reparsed/rewritten, so you need not worry. The whole file is rewritten (not appended), but all previous data is stored in memory after parsing it out, so you won't lose anything.

John

Back