Install net-snmp 5.4.1 Centos5 (64bit) -> error openSSL

spirit

Verified User
Hi all,

I've tried to install net-snmp on our CentOS5 64bit box.

When i install net-snmp-devel yum will also install openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5. But this version is already installed on this box!

YUM said:
openssl i686 0.9.8b-8.3.el5 base 1.4 M

When i type "y" in yum to install everything i git this error:
yum said:
Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/share/man/man1/asn1parse.1ssl.gz from install of openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5 conflicts with file from package openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5
file /usr/share/man/man1/nseq.1ssl.gz from install of openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5 conflicts with file from package openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5
file /usr/share/man/man1/ocsp.1ssl.gz from install of openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5 conflicts with file from package openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5
file /usr/share/man/man1/smime.1ssl.gz from install of openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5 conflicts with file from package openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5

Error Summary
-------------

Can someone help me, pls?

Your currently installed openssl was probably installed by some other method. Best to remove it and then install again through yum.

Jeff

I've already tried that "yum remove openssl" but yum will also uninstall bind, mysql etc.. and i think that is't ok :)

Well, that's not what I suggested. I suggested that if it was NOT installed by yum you should reinstall it through yum.

Now you're stuck with trying to figure out what you have to reinstall.

Jeff

No Jeff i dont remove openssl with yum, i'v tried it an sw that yum also want to remove onther packeges. Off course i answered YUM with "no" :D

The server is online and running without troubles. But i have to remove openssl en reinstall it. But i can't remove it :S

The server is online and running without troubles. But i have to remove openssl en reinstall it. But i can't remove it :S
First thing I would do is checking how the original "openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.el5" package got installed. If it wasn't thru yum, then you probably used some automatic script which downloaded and installed the rpm. If you happen to have a copy of that RPM, it would be a good idea to check its md5 to make sure it's an authentic package. Generally speaking, it's possible to remove a package without removing its dependencies. It should be also possible to reinstall the package forcefully, replacing conflicting files. Be advised however that either way might brake your system.

I think the safest way for you would be downloading net-snmp-devel and dependant RPMs and installing them with "rpm -i" unless it's a new box that hasn't been put in production yet and you dont mind making OS reload if the need arises.

Just my 2 cents...

Back