Debian Quota

BrianUK

Verified User
I'm having a problem getting quotas to work

Server is VPS /etc/fstab shows

/dev/xvda1 / ext3 rw,noatime 0 1
/dev/xvdb1 none swap defaults 0 0

I tried adding usrquota,grpquota but it didn't work. Is it meant to go after noatime? ie rw,noatime,usrquota,grpquota

I've installed quota via apt-get. How do I find out if it's enabled in the kernel?

Any help would be appriciated.

Many thanks

Since your kernel is supplied by your VPS vendor, the best way to resolve this would be to ask them.

Jeff

I tried and they sais as it was self managed i'd have to sort it our myself ha, although i'm sure there's other people on the same server using DA.

dmesg shows VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1

Been told I need to re-mount the chosen partitions with user quotas enabled.

I don't use Debian, so I can't promise the answer is the same for you as for me.

On CentOS I add usrquota and edquota options for the partitions on which I want quotas to work.

Read your man quota to see how to do it on your system.

Jeff

This is a pretty old post, but I had a similar problem on some debian machines and finally found the solution. DA would show the quota updated, but repquota would report it as the same before the update as after, and there would be no error message indicating it hadn't worked.
These machines were amd64 debian sarge machines which had been upgraded to etch. They had 32 bit binaries with a 64 bit kernel, and the 32 bit quota gave an odd error message, then said success. edquota would give a segmentation fault. I had to install the amd64 quota package and the amd64 libs for it to work.
*This only applies if you have an amd64 kernel and 32 bit binaries with debian etch.*

apt-get install amd64-libs

download amd64 deb of quota and:

dpkg -i --force-architecture quota_3.14-7_amd64.deb

after this, quota updates in DA are now reflected in repquota.

Last edited:
exim stopped quota DISK QUOTA EXCEEDED

Hi,

we have a problem with exim . The exim log spoke :

spool file write error while delivering: Disk quota exceeded

but we have much space on to disks .

All virtual users are listed , the quota :

Disk quotas for group mail (gid 8):
Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace
/dev/sda1 973848* 4422 0 none 4234 0 0

actually exim does'nt start .. why ?

anyone can help me ?