Spamassassin

Peter

Verified User
Can i make it so that it just puts the spammail in a differrent mailbox instead of still sending it to me with subject "**spam**" ?

That would be quite useful.
Thanks

I don't mean to be vague but their are a number of possibilities for this. I would suggest reading the wiki at the spamassassin website then searching google for this. I found about 4 sites that had different approaches to the idea.

I have not had Spamassassin delete messages automatically in years but when I did I used Qmail and a Qmail plugin so if it hit a higher point level it would just delete the message. I would suggest looking into something like this...

ProWebUK (Chris) might know of a good tutorial or a better idea :)

I tried to get what was told about there... but quite a bit to difficult for me, i rather have someone who tell me what to do...

I did the mailscanner/spamassassin tutorial... but i hope someone knows what i did.

I am not tring to be a jerk but if you have a server it is up to you to administer it. :) Matt and Chris and many other have taken the time to write up wonderful How-To's but if you can't read the documentation on SpamAssassin website you should get out of this business or have someone else manage the server for you. What you want it out of the realm of DirectAdmin.

http://eu.spamassassin.org/doc.html

You can read more about Exim and SpamAssassing here.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg30042.html

You are going to have to do some reasearch and figure out how to make it work.

You tell me things like "bla bla several options bla bla"
What can i do with that... i got an URL with some blabla on it, so i just want to get on with it and make it work.

I think this is a support forum?
I can ask for support here?
So if you have nothing useful to tell me then go somewhere else saying useless things, thank you.

Look I am not tring to piss you off. You are asking for support and people are trying to help you. The support is above and beyond the nature of this forum. You want someone to type each command for you and I would love to but you need to figure out which of the solutions works for you!

Their are many ways to make this work and if you read the Spamassassin documents it will give you idea on how you might want to setup your server. Their is NOT one way to do this, you may wish to install some plug-in, move the mail to a special IMAP mailbox and have that deleted every few days, or possibly have it bounce. The bounce method is EXACTLY how we setup the XServes running OS X Server.

You should be able to follow this with little modification. What happens is if SpamAssassin tags the email as spam it bounces it back to the sender.

http://www.afp548.com/Articles/mail/exim4-2.html

SpamAssassin is not able to delete spam it just checks the message's and tags it. You mileage will vary with that tutorial...

Last edited:
If you are using mailscanner just modify your mailscanner.conf - The options are there **commented** - there are options to:

drop, bounce or allow (with custom subject note)

I would advise you not to use the bounce option as with spam, the from field is often forged.

Chris

A quick check of the config file finds me:

#
# What to do with spam
# --------------------
#

# This is a list of actions to take when a message is spam.
# It can be any combination of the following:
# deliver - deliver the message as normal
# delete - delete the message
# store - store the message in the quarantine
# forward [email protected] - forward a copy of the message to [email protected]
# striphtml - convert all in-line HTML content to plain text.
# You need to specify "deliver" as well for the
# message to reach the original recipient.
# attachment - Convert the original message into an attachment
# of the message. This means the user has to take
# an extra step to open the spam, and stops "web
# bugs" very effectively.
# notify - Send the recipients a short notification that
# spam addressed to them was not delivered. They
# can then take action to request retrieval of
# the original message if they think it was not
# spam.
#
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
#Spam Actions = store forward [email protected]
Spam Actions = deliver

That's what i tried to edit, but it seems to do nothing, i also have the local.cf which may seem to work, but i don't know what to put there.

Yup, looks like it does recognize spam, but the spam limit is not good, how can i set that?

ProWebUK said:
If you are using mailscanner just modify your mailscanner.conf - The options are there **commented** - there are options to:

drop, bounce or allow (with custom subject note)

I would advise you not to use the bounce option as with spam, the from field is often forged.

Chris
Hello Chris,
I tried locating mailscanner.conf but I could not find where it is. Would you direct me to the path please?

Best regards,

Reyner

/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf

by the way, it works now... (spamd was running)...
I just like to know now how i can set the "this-is-spam" rate...

Back