Apache Log Files, Still showing December '03

howlets

Verified User
I have raised this with my host a few months ago and I belive it was going to be passed to DA, my usage log files and error log files are still showing entries from 1st Dec 03 - they are now taking so long to download it is impossible to check my error logs on a regular basis.

How can I just see this months logs?

If there a problem with the DA config?

Sounds like logrotation has not been configured on the system...

Chris

I will ask my host - but this was working ok until December/Jan....

Im sure there was an update to DA around this time? Maybe that broke something?

Doubtful that DA would modify logrotation settings, its more than likely a slow rotation setting although 2 months appears around double the average redhat settings.

I'll assume it is redhat your host is using?

Chris

Yep, Redhat.

I have log entries from 1st Dec 03 showing, its now the end of feb, so far 2 its missed 2 rotations.....

DA are apparently talking to my host now in an attempt to resolve this.

I'll let you know what their findings are...

I would think this is not a DA issue.... Has your host checked the settings in /etc/logrotate.conf

The settings I usually use are as follows:

Code:
# rotate log files daily
daily

# keep 2 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 2

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create

Chris

I have mentioned it to them - this only happens on a handful of accounts so not sure what the root cause is....

ahh... I didn't click on the fact it was users apache logs... was thinking "apache logs" and only apache logs, the main ones :rolleyes: :D

Fixing to many problems of the same type leads to further problems (or so in this case) :)

If it's only some domains having the problem and John / Mark are looking into it your best optionis to probably just wait for their response.
Chris

Hello,

Logs are rotated based on size.. so the admin can set a smaller logfile size in the Admin Settings (defaults to 100 meg). Perhaps a smaller default would be more appropriate.

John

Back