Password - Special Characters

netmotiv8

Verified User
Is there a way to allow special characters on passwords e.g. ¬!"£$%^&*()_+:~@][ etc. We have a client who requires this and therefore we are unable to move them across to DA until its available.

Neil :D

Hello,

I've just made a change to the rules for valid passwords in response to this thread. The new rules will basiscally means you can use anything except these 4: space \ / :

Until the next release, the rules are:
- the 4 listed above are not allowed
- the characters from ! to ~ are allowed (See www.asciitable.com)
- é à ü ö are allowed

The next release will allow almost everything you can think of except the 4 from the top. Other rejected characters would be \n and \r as newlines arn't allowed :)

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Other rejected characters would be \n and \r as newlines arn't allowed :)

What about other backslash-escaped characters, will they all be disabled or just \n and \r?

We actually need the : character. What is the reason for not allowing it?

Neil :(

Hello,

You know what, I can't remember why I did that.. It might have been something to do with how it's stored.. but since it's encrypted, it really wouldn't matter.. I'll double check everything and then allow it.

As for other espcaped characters ... there are only 7 of them... and the closest one to being useful would be "tab" (\t) .. but DA doesn't do the escaping, so the actual tab character would be used... don't think it will allow it unless someone is dying to have a tab in their password :) (not even sure how some programs would handle that) ... like.. without using "paste", how would you enter the tab character into outlook? :) It would just go to the next field.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
how would you enter the tab character into outlook? :) It would just go to the next field.

Why I was asking, if someone had \t without realising it was a tab, they would have difficulties - without accessing anything using that password, a shell password should be fine though when that is done with a chrooted environment.

Ill assume since the \t is done like this, passwords are written with echo -e - could the e be removed so the characters could then be entered... never really dealt with characters such as that with passwords so unsure how it could be done, either way it needs to be looked over for little problems like the one noticed above :)

Chris

You will have saved us a lot of grief by allowing the :

When can we expect the release to allow it?

Thanks very much

Neil :D :D

there appears to be no reference of these changes in version 1.211 . Any idea what version they will be released on?

Neil :)

Hello,

It should already be out (very minor change wasn't documented). Do you get any errors?

John

ok. I didnt realise things are always documented. We don't auto update, so we look at release notes to see whats included. Haven't checked for or found any errors yet.

Thanks

Neil :D

Back