Reseller restore

jep

Verified User
(John: I've send this by mail, but maybe it was a little long. Let's ask your clients..) ;)

I have 6 directadmin servers. 5 Of them are live servers and 1 spare/backupserver with DA running empty. My plan is to
restore a backup on the empty machine when some other machine crashes.

I make backups of:

backup:/backup/server01# ls -1 *-20040224.tar
dadmin-20040224.tar
etc-20040224.tar
frpage-20040224.tar
home-20040224.tar
mysql-20040224.tar
var-20040224.tar

That's /usr/local/directadmin/, /etc/, the dir of the frontpage extentions, the home-dirs, the mysql dir and the rest of /var. This is based on
the information you provided on the paths-page.

My questions are basicaly:

- When I untar (and overwrite) all files (on the 'empty DA machine') with the backup and I'll reboot, will it work?
- Is there another way you would like to advice me to do this?
- How to restore only *one* user? I thought there was a lot of stuff in the DB for every user. What are the files I need to move *one* user? (When I take care of the right ip's, DNS and that kind of stuff). Like, do I have to add him to the reseller system manually?

I would really appriciate your advice. My clients wants my emergency plan tomorrow. If you don't have a solution then I'll try it on the forum again.

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

If you extract all of those files, the only thing you'd need to worry about are the IPs .. apache and proftpd have IP settings which need to be changed to match the new server. You can use www.directadmin.com/ipswap.sh and follow the directions at http://www.directadmin.com/change_ip.txt ... just treat it like your server got a new IP and you need to change all of them. So you can just run the ipswap.sh for each old IP to one new one.

Note, I've never tested a restore of tar files like that, so there could very well be some more issues than that.

The best choice for one user is to use the Reseller Backup tool found in Reseller Panel -> User Backups. It saves everything that a user has, and you can even use those backups to create accounts (will automatically be created if the account doesn't exist, during a restore)

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

If you extract all of those files, the only thing you'd need to worry about are the IPs .. apache and proftpd have IP settings which need to be changed to match the new server. You can use www.directadmin.com/ipswap.sh and follow the directions at http://www.directadmin.com/change_ip.txt ... just treat it like your server got a new IP and you need to change all of them. So you can just run the ipswap.sh for each old IP to one new one.

I won't change the ip's. I'll just use the ip of the (crashed) server.
Note, I've never tested a restore of tar files like that, so there could very well be some more issues than that.

The best choice for one user is to use the Reseller Backup tool found in Reseller Panel -> User Backups. It saves everything that a user has, and you can even use those backups to create accounts (will automatically be created if the account doesn't exist, during a restore)

John
That's great, but in that feature I get 'coming soon' on every function. Can you tell me when I can use this? I want to cron it and upload it to FTP.

This is just everything I need :)

Last edited:
but is there any way to restore in other server with different ip?. it should be..

Hello,

Yes, you go onto that server, and tell it to restore from ftp (when the feature comes out in a week or so) and just specifiy the ip of the server holding the backups. In the current release, it's all local.

John

Back