Multiple ftp accounts don't work

jmstacey

Verified User
Ok, the primary ftp account that is created for each user by default works just fine but I can't create anymore than 2 because then I keep getting a login incorrect error message.
I've run out of ideas. I've made sure the password was the same by trying many different test ftp accounts.

Thanks

Hello,

are you actually not able to create more than 2, or just all others past 2 don't work? Check which IP you are ftping into (if it's an owned IP).. and then check the password files in the /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf .. If the IP doesn't exist there, it will use the /etc/profptd.passwd file. Else, it will use the password file listed. After you figure out which password file it's using, have a look at that password file to make sure that the accounts you've created are there. If everything *appears* correct, then check the /var/log/messages and /var/log/proftpd/* for clues in case the paths/permissions are incorrect.

John

All default ftp accounts that are created with a new account work but any new ones (over 1) work. The account is created according to DA but I can't login using the details and I've checked and rechecked that they were correct.

-Jon-

Hello,

For a shared IP, check /etc/proftpd.passwd for the accounts
For an owned IP, check /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/ftp.passwd for the accounts.

Also check which password file is being used for the IP in /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf. If the IP is not there, it will default to use the /etc/proftpd.passwd file.

Find out which password files the accounts are being added to. Also check the /var/log/proftpd/* for clues.

John

Back