FrontPage Trouble

skylooker

I moved a rather large web site to a new server that uses DA. In order to not have down time I uploaded the files using WS-FTP before transferring the dns numbers. I want to use FrontPage to edit files. I enabled the extensions, but I keep getting an error message that says something like "Server Error: An error occurred while trying to access one of your FrontPage files..." when I try to publish the old site to the new server. I have also tried to create a new FrontPage web and had the same results. Nothing about it appears in the error logs. Any ideas?

Skylooker

I too am having the same problems with FrontPage ever since the most recent upgrade of DA. Current users that installed FP Extensions before the upgrade are having no problems. But those that just installed the extensions after the upgrade are having major problems, it says the server is unavailable. I checked error logs and nothing is out of the ordinary. Can someone please help, my clients aren't too happy about this! I need this problem fixed ASAP!

Hello,

Try this:

cd /home/username/domains/domain.com/public_html
chown -R username:username *

When the frontpage extensions are being installed, the group settings are not sticking to the correct group. The next release of DA forces frontpage to use the correct group on all the files.

John

Hello,

What does it say in the /var/log/httpd/fpexec_log and/or the apache error logs? ..

skylooker: you do that with root access and an ssh shell.

John

In order to fix this, you will need to change the public_html ownership to username:username before you enable FrontPage from the control panel.

Here is what you need to do:
1. Create client/domain or hosting package from DA control panel
2. ssh and modify public_html ownership:

cd /home/<username>/domains/<domain.com>/
chown -R <username>:<username> public_html

Note:
<username> = the username
<domain.com> = the domain name

3. Enable FrontPage from the control panel

You should be able to use FrontPage after this. You may need to delete the account/domain and recreate it if it still does not work.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I'll be fixing that up for the next release. Frontpage is a real pain in the neck if any permissions are off.

John

Back