Need help with skins

Kiwi_Tech

Verified User
first sorry if this is the wrong spot I looked and looked before picking here.

Hi all ok maybe I'm just retarded ,but I have been having a hell of a time trying to do a custom skin. I've downloaded 2 custom skins from here to see if it helped,but it didnt help me at all. I made my own pics that I was going to try and swap with the current pics and change the color scheme but It seems a little more complicated than I originally thought. Any resellers here make a custom skin or try to? Also if ya have what the heck is up with the .tar .gsz crap. I've downloaded 4 programs to try and make .tar files but whenever i upload I get an error.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if your using redhat to tar a directory and compress it using gzip just run

tar -czf skin.tar.gz /path/to/directory

If you are using windows I believe you can use winrar to create a .tar then use wingz to compress with gzip

Chris

Good old win2000 here :) i remember lzh back in the day but the tar is a new one to me. i guess the confusion is winzip will open a tar but wont create one. then when I did use some software to create it it wouldnt upload. lol any suggestions for win software to make the .tar .gsz .tar.gsz or whatever

For as many people i've seen or heard say how easy DA is to customize there only seems to be 2-3 people good at it hehehe.

Least cpanel and plesk let ya change pics in 5secs flat.

As was said previously

"It takes a genious to understand directadmins simplicity"

Copied directly from naother post of mine on the forums from quite some time ago...

ProWebUK said:
Use PicoZip to make a tar files (go into your skin directory, highlight all files and folders, right click and select add to archive, enter 'file.tar' and then ok to make the tar file.

You should see a message saying its compressed, now get a program named 'WinGZ' and gzip that file.

PicoZip: http://www.picozip.com/download_PicoZipSetup.html

WinGZ: ftp://mirrors.aol.com/mir03/SIMTEL/pub/simtelnet/win95/compress/wingz11.zip

Chris

thanks alot your a life saver

Kewl website.. oh your clients and forum links are down.

Lol i've been workin on my website for months and its still not done lol

well

after trying over and over again I decided to download the default and uncompress it then recompress it and upload and it says

Error Installing Skin

Details

The skin package did not install properly. Either there were files missing, or their permissions were incorrectly set

so lol guess I've been wasting my time. Any suggestions where I can get a different default or what I should try next? and the default i was using came from site-helper

uggg

lol yup I've done that about 5 times and each time it says cannot install funny thing is when i was poking around in the ftp today i went to the skins directory and OMG there are tons of the ones i tried uploading that said it wouldnt work. I'm about to do screenshots of the whole process just so ya know i aint crazy lol

well I think i'm gonna try the other install and see if I can do any of these skins the manual way. Wish me Luck

lol@all those skins
screencap002.jpg

Hey Kiwi,

The easist way to package your skin is to upload the entire thing to your server (based on the screenshot, you've done this already). Then, SSH into your machine, cd to your skin folder, and then cd into your "skinname" folder. From there, run:

tar cvzf skinname.tar.gz *

Then, download that skin file, and upload it to DirectAdmin. That will work.

Well

I had a reseller under me that couldn't seem to do it either..and after searching the web I've found like 10 people that can do it....I think I'm gonna have to load another cp

I know looks aren't anywhere on the priority list ,but making it so standard header and footer can be switched by a complete noob would be helpful :) Guess I'll stick to computer repair and networking lol

Back