Is Debian AMD64 officially supported?

Omines

Verified User
While installing DirectAdmin on a Debian Etch AMD64 installation, everything is quite fine and Custombuild even notifies me about installing on a 64-bit system, but when it's done I have a system on which ProFTPd, Exim, MySQL and Apache are not running. The root of all evil appears to be MySQL. Not only does ./build mysql consistently screw up installation by setting owner:group on /home/mysql to junk (503:users) causing all MySQL functionality to fail, but even if I fix that manually it results in PHP build failing:
Code:
checking for MySQL UNIX socket location... no
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_error in -lmysqlclient... no
configure: error: mysql configure failed. Please check config.log for more information.

*** There was an error while trying to configure php. Check the configure/ap2/configure.php5 file
In config.log it shows that it's incompatible on binaries:
Code:
configure:59604: checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient
configure:59623: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include -g -O2  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/lib  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lmhash -lmcrypt -lltdl -liconv -lfreetype -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lssl -lcrypto -lcurl -lz -lssl -lcrypto -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lcurl -lxml2 1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.so when searching for -lmysqlclient
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a when searching for -lmysqlclient
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 59612 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char mysql_close();

int main() {
mysql_close()
; return 0; }
configure:59846: checking for mysql_error in -lmysqlclient
configure:59865: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include -g -O2  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/lib  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr -L/usr conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lz -lmhash -lmcrypt -lltdl -liconv -lfreetype -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lssl -lcrypto -lcurl -lz -lssl -lcrypto -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lcurl -lxml2 1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.so when searching for -lmysqlclient
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a when searching for -lmysqlclient
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 59854 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char mysql_error();

int main() {
mysql_error()
; return 0; }
Which isn't all too surprising considering Custombuild is trying to install the i686 version of MySQL and its client libs.

So, any suggestions on how to fix this? The machine is not in any rush to go into production (I'm aiming to transfer an old machine to this one during the holidays) so I'll gladly be a guinea pig if it results in having a rock solid stable machine without having to reinstall the OS :)

No suggestions?

No suggestions? Don't tell me that in late 2007 I have to install a 32-bit OS on a brand new quad-core server that can hold 16GB of RAM? :confused:

I have a 64 bit debian dual-core AMD server. no problems on my end.

I am using debian etch.

Thogh my server aint nearly as high tech as urs havent had any problems.

Are you using custombuild or stock build? I naively took the custombuild route assuming it would be best, but it got me into the current situation.

What would be really best is if DA could simply integrate with the OS' native package manager on all external tools instead of trying to do everything itself :(

That's a great idea, Omines, until you consider these two points:

1) it's a lot less flexible because you'd be limited to versions supported by your OS Distribution.

2) It would require a lot more customization for each OS Distribution.

If DirectAdmin did it that way (Plesk does) they'd probably still be only building for Red Hat based distributions. (Plesk used to be available for many distributions but when they switched to package managers they stopped supporting anything besides Red Hat based distributions.)

It's all about support staff, support time, and much work has to be done to get a new version or a change out.

Jeff

Valid point, but the core question still remains ;) Will I be able to install DA on this 64-bit system or should I plan a trip back to datacenter already to install Etch 32-bit on a powerhouse server that's already beyond the boundaries of what 32-bit can support?

Back