Outlook occasionally unable to access messages

synergy

Verified User
This is the second time this has happened, but to a completely different user on a different DA box. Outlook Express complains that

An unknown error has occured. Account: 'mail.server.com', Server: 'mail.server.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC93

Normally this error indicates that which ever message number is inside Server Response has malformed headers and should be deleted or downloaded with another program. However there is no number for Server Response. This is the same problem as last time. no number is shown in the Server Response field.

There are messages in the users mailbox and webmail works fine. How is this normally fixed, or better yet prevented?

Thanks in advance.

Get a better mail client :D

http://mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Did that silly user shutdown/reboot hit computer? You know Microsoft 1/2 the problems are fixed once you reboot. :cool:

Honestly if that did not work, simply time does not work then have them remove the account from Outlook Express and start fresh. If it works in webmail then most likely it not the server.

I "fixed" this the last time by emptying their mailbox through webmail, deleting the account and then recreating it on the server. Didn't seem like the optimum way to do this though. I thought maybe I had a config setting wrong in Exim or something as this has happened on two different DA boxes with two different users.

I will see if anything happens when he removes the account from Outlook.

Thanks.

Honestly I have seen strange crap from Outlook, you know Microsoft does not like to play standards complient. I am convinced that sometimes crap happens so you switch to their products :)

im a having the 0x800CCC93 problem too.
im not sure what to do. i tried restarting vmpop.

I had this same problem again the other day. I had to recreate the same domain on a new server and added the customers email accounts again. The same account [email protected] gave this error. Now this account gets a lot of spam. So I downloaded the emails with Mozilla, deleted some of the spam, deleted the email account and recreated it then sent the files back. I assume one of the spam messages had a malformed header or something.

Does your outlook error message give you a message number? Like:

POP3 Server sent an Invalid Response. Server Response '3' . Error #0x800ccc93.

Where 3 is the message number with the bad header. I wasn't actually getting any number here which was part of the problem. But maybe your error message is more helpful though.

Good luck.

I don't think so. The messages download fine with webmail, mozilla, and everything else. Its just a good old Outlook Express problem. I am sure the headers of the email are not well formed and it chokes Outlook Express some how where the other programs are able to get around the problem.

what happened to the email server or direct admin? did something change a couple of weeks ago? i was able to use outlook express without the 0x800CCC93 errors before.

for a weeks now, i've had to go into outlook (not outlook express) and check email and delete some. after that i'd be able to use outlook express, for a day or two to check email. then i'd get the 0x800CCC93 error again.

i have to keep going into another email client.

i dont think it's a problem with outlook express.

Hello,

Are you using 1.1.7e of vm-pop3d? The older version was vulnerable to malicious email headers which caused it to output an extra space when giving the client the list of emails... thus causing outlook (which doesn't handle it) to hang/break.

John

says im using vm-Pop3d 1.1.6... is vm-Pop3d part of directadmin or did it come from the webhost?

Hello,

We used to include 1.1.6 until 1.1.7e came out, then we included that. It's installed during the install process of DA.

John

Back