Problems with Installing Cacti on Debian/DirectAdmin Server

TheLunny

Verified User
Hi guys.. I'm pretty new to linux and i've got some doubts on installing Cacti (used for creating monitoring graphs) on my Debian server.

I understand that Cacti requires apache, php, mysql, net-snmp, rrdtool to be installed in order for it to run. I've already got apache, php and mysql installed by DirectAdmin when the server was setup. Now i just need net-snmp and rrdtool to get cacti running.

I used the apt-get install cacti to attempt an installation of cacti but i reaslise apt-get is prompting me to install the apache2, php, mysql as package dependencies when i already have them installed on my server. I'm wondering if it's because these packages were installed by DirectAdmin and therefore isn't recongnized by the system as 'installed' under Debian's installed-package list.

Is there anyway to bypass the package dependencies thingie to just install what i need? Anybody manage to install Cacti on a Debian/DirectAdmin server? Any recommended solutions to install Cacti? A step-by-step tutorial would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I'm not a Debian user.

You'll probably have to install Cacti from source.

Jeff

I've already installed Cacti from source.. Now i've got another problem with generating network traffic graphs using snmp.. It appears that the graph cannot be generated properly.. I'm not sure if snmp requires any configuration as well in order for it to work.. And also, i read from elsewhere that Cacti requires PHP-SNMP support as well??? Does the default PHP that came with DirectAdmin include the snmp support for php??? If not how can i install it?? Thanks..

I've already installed Cacti from source.. Now i've got another problem with generating network traffic graphs using snmp.. It appears that the graph cannot be generated properly.. I'm not sure if snmp requires any configuration as well in order for it to work.. And also, i read from elsewhere that Cacti requires PHP-SNMP support as well??? Does the default PHP that came with DirectAdmin include the snmp support for php??? If not how can i install it?? Thanks..

Can you tell me a bit more of your configuration please?
- Apache 1.3 or Apache 2.x?
- PHP4 or PHP5?
- Customapache or custombuild?

If you dont know, look which folder does exist:
# ls -al /usr/local/directadmin/

If you really dont know, paste the output of:

# ./usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build versions
# ./usr/local/directadmin/customapache/build versions
Have you already read the documents / website of the tool you are willing to use?

Back