* in A x.x.x.x

3spades

Verified User
Is this new? I added a domain to my personal account and the zone file shows a * in A record and since the * doesn't have a corresponding vhost it goes to the server's default vhost. Is this in a template somewhere so it can be removed?

You can remove it from the mysql template files but I don't think that * or catch-all is valid in DNS records in anything other than a CNAME? I am not sure it is technically valid their.

existenz said:
You can remove it from the mysql template files but I don't think that * or catch-all is valid in DNS records in anything other than a CNAME? I am not sure it is technically valid their.

As long as the * has a corresponding vhost its valid. Right now anything.domain.com goes to the vhost for the server. Which mysql template files are you talking about?

I am sorry, long week here...

The named template files can be edited. http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=317

Can you show me where the catch-all is a valid DNS entry? I just just wondering because I did't think it was, that could cause all kinds of havoic. Much to the same reason that Network Solutions got slapped around by the ICANN for that catch-all crap they pulled for the registries they manage.

I assume it is probably valid for a subdomain but just wondering.

Its not in any of those files, I added the domain before the upgrade so I dont even know if it was a fluke or template related.

Hello,

1.21.0 : added * as an A record.

1.21.1 : changed to templates, but removed the * (it can be added if you want.

These just affect new domains.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

1.21.0 : added * as an A record.

1.21.1 : changed to templates, but removed the * (it can be added if you want.

These just affect new domains.

John
Thanks, wasnt aware it was added 1.21.0 then when i upgraded to 1.21.1 i couldnt find it :x

existenz said:
I am sorry, long week here...
Can you show me where the catch-all is a valid DNS entry? I just just wondering because I did't think it was, that could cause all kinds of havoic.

Sure :)

In my copy of DNS and Bind, 3rd Edition, beginning on page 377. O'Reilly is the publisher, Albitz and Liu are the authors. The page number will probably be different in the 4th Edition; check the Index.

Jeff

Back