Status as of March

existenz

Verified User
What is the status as of March. I see random threads and stuff that needs to be addressed. Lets post everything we know that needs to be addressed.

It seems to me FreeBSD 5.x is a quite low-priority thing right now..

Lets just say I haven't seen much progress the last few weeks

Lets not debate anything, FBSD does not seem to be a low priority. Keeping in mind that the OS it's self is more or less still in the "beta" stage.

Here is what I remember:

1)
Code:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found

During the install of Zend the the build script needs to install compat4x libraries.

2)

Code:
[Thu Mar  4 00:31:03 2004] [notice] Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7c PHP/4.3.4 mod_perl/1.27 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Mar  4 00:31:03 2004] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Thu Mar  4 00:31:03 2004] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)

3) DA still does not add the admin to the wheel group. Assuming that the server was setup by your hosting company and they have already added admin to the wheel group you could get locked out. We don't do it this way but in the future it could cause some people problem. I think a notification would be nice during the install to alert the person of the change.

4) What is the statis on the /proc ?

That is all I can remember. Otherwise we have one box in production with no complaints from the user.

Hello,

I don't think zend has a 5.x release, so you'd need to install the compat4x libs.

I'll add admin to wheel when I get a chance.

the /proc thing should be already out as of the latest release. Let me know how it goes.

John

Everything seems to be working

As for Zend can you make sure that for now compat4x libs are installed during the build for zend.

FreeBSD 5.2.1 is starting to get close to -stable.

Good to see there has been progress from DA!

edit: Btw DirectAdmin Support, I emailed you regarding the beta testing..

Last edited:
Didn't realize the /proc issue had a release to work on it. Checking now. Will let you know.

Please DO NOT add the admin to the wheel group. I do not want the admin account being able to su to root. Instead the owner of the server should add a 3rd account to use to su to root. It's much more sucure to have the admin not be able to su to root.

Xuru said:
Please DO NOT add the admin to the wheel group. I do not want the admin account being able to su to root. Instead the owner of the server should add a 3rd account to use to su to root. It's much more sucure to have the admin not be able to su to root.

I agree...someone suggested it. The only problem I can see is that some people setup 'admin' as a user because it is easy to remember. If that user was added before the install and in the wheel group a unsuspecting person could get locked out. How about something to check if admin is already added and notifies the installer?

We never let admin to su to root but just a thought.

Forget unsuspecting or ignorant admins. No way in the world should the user "admin" be added to the wheel group. You might as well keep root ssh login enabled if your going to keep the box that insecure. And if you do that no user needs to be in wheel.

So please do not do it. All it will do is promote weak security policies.

Yes looks like the proc issue is fixed with th latest release.

I'm running DA a full week now on a FBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE with some brave test clients. If you get past some of the little install issues everything is VERY stable and fast. The control panel is also very solid, I haven't had a glitch yet!

My momentum will be to see how things go if 5.3 is released and when I conduct an upgrade to the system. Though I feel very confident that it will pass that test.

Rick

frontpage

Hi,

I've just tried to use frontpage extensions for the first time and receivign the following error after inserting system password:

Error setting up your web: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found, required by "owsadm.exe"

What do you suggest

Thanks
Barry

Back