IPv6 records in DA dns

Watje6

Verified User
How can I add ipv6 records (AAAA) to the dns admin ?

When I manualy editted the domain.db, DA replaced AAAA into A the next time I added an A record.

I was meaning to ask about ipv6 with DA. I am sure it dones not support it yet. It could be added pretty easily all things considered.

IPv6 is the solution to IPv4 IP addresses (what you will consider 'normal' IP addresses now) running out, when they are gone IPv6 is what you will be allocated (rather than IPv4).

ProWebUK said:
IPv6 is the solution to IPv4 IP addresses (what you will consider 'normal' IP addresses now) running out, when they are gone IPv6 is what you will be allocated (rather than IPv4).

<rant>
I am not saying your wrong because this is what everyone says but that is total crap! Again not you...just who ever came up with we are running out. :D

Truth is that ICANN has not even released all the available ipv4 address. But on the flip side ipv6 is much better in a few ways like way faster packet processing and better security.

For all those people who are parinoid about ipv4 lets skip ipv6 and jump into ipv8.
</rant>

Here is a example. We use ipv6 on our internal network:

192.168.1.100 is fe80:0000:0000:0000:0230:65ff:fe0d:117a

HA! try remembering your blocks now :D

Hello John,

Before we used DA i had some ipv6 dns records in our bind/named server.

irc IN AAAA 2001:888:1bd2::215

When I manualy add this to to the domain.db the first thing that DA does when i add a new dns record (on the control-panel) is change the AAAA into A. Second thing is that the domain can't be resolved anymore because 2001:888:1bd2::215 is an invalid A record.

Can you please fix this asap, because we can't use our domains for ipv6 anymore :(

existenz said:
<rant>
I am not saying your wrong because this is what everyone says but that is total crap! Again not you...just who ever came up with we are running out. :D

Truth is that ICANN has not even released all the available ipv4 address. But on the flip side ipv6 is much better in a few ways like way faster packet processing and better security.

For all those people who are parinoid about ipv4 lets skip ipv6 and jump into ipv8.
</rant>

Here is a example. We use ipv6 on our internal network:

192.168.1.100 is fe80:0000:0000:0000:0230:65ff:fe0d:117a

HA! try remembering your blocks now :D

Well, IPv4 wont last forever and therefore stating its a totally invalid isn't really correct either... that would just be one of the reasons behind it, also If i remember corerctly IPv6 was designed for the larger / faster networks - oc-3+ also? would IPv4 be better with smaller networks (in comparison to IPv6)...

Not entirely up-to-date with the whole IPv6 thing, although I have read quite a bit on it previously.

Chris

ipv4 could last much longer their are a ton of unused address that we haven even used. At by real estimates it would take years and years at our current growth to use them all. It is a problem but not a epidemic.

If I remember correctly...ipv6 was designed to test some theory's about a new ip system. After revisions and changes it was adopted as a new ip system. It helps not just the big trunk lines but down to the smaller networks. ipv6 latency is much lower, currently each router on the network needs to do some verification on each packet before sending it out again. ipv6 it is built into the address and is able to foward much faster.

ipv4 is going to be slowly weeded out over time. I doubt we will ever get rid of it totally. The parts that most users will see is much better security and faster networks. The entire ipv6 drives me up a wall when I think of how I am going have some user call the office and ask us to ping a address. We will have to get one of those phone systems like Microsoft's activation deal. You speak the character and it beeps when the block is correct :D

DA does not support ipv6. You can add them manually but those will get overwritten if you change anything from the admin. Sorry... :(

Watje6 said:
Nice discussion about ipv4 - ipv6 but want to add AAAA records in our DA nameserver.......
You can add them manuall to the zone files in /var/named, but afterwards you shouldn't change the DNS zones through DirectAdmin; if you do your IPv6 records will get overwritten.

Jeff

You can always just use a different filename.. like:
/var/named/domain.com.ipv6.db, and just set that in the /etc/named.conf file, and DA will never find it to overwrite it.

John

Back