AwStats Added

Yes, please, this would be great.

Great things about awstats:
Separate categories for referring sites and referring search engines.
Full list of search phrases and search words.
Browser and OS summary as well as details.
Shows visiting spiders.
Doesn't waste space with irrelevant (for me, at least) list of referrals from internal pages.

Compared to webalizer, awstats just seems much more "with it" and in keeping with the image that DA conveys: solid, professional, user-friendly.

Please add it!!

twv said:
and in keeping with the image that DA conveys: solid, professional, user-friendly.

Not sure, we use webalizer which is fine for some simple hits/uniques stats by the user then urchin for advanced analysis, for the majority webalizer is fine.

I personally think an AwStats add-on may be better than having it as a forced feature, give me 'til early next week see if i can get it automated and setup for all sites on a script (i know its been done as a manual how-to.. I mean a script) :)

Chris

Thanks for the offer. I have tried to install awstats for my clients, but have not succeeded. As a reseller, I don't seem to have the necessary permissions. But then my host tried, and I don't think she was able to, either.

If possible, please make a script that will work for both resellers and admins.

Also, what happens when the next version of DA comes out? Does the add-on get overwritten?

And finally, how will my users get access to awstats? Will they be able to see it from their control panel?

Thanks,
Tobey

I dont think it would be easy for reseller level, it would probably run using a shell script also, and require access to the DA "upon domain creation/removal" scripts to automate it...

Chris

I dont think it would be easy for reseller level

To my mind this is a good argument for just adding it to DirectAdmin, rather than going the add-on route.

Well unless a reseller has shell access and access to the DA configs, you cant since it would uitilise them.. once you have done the initial install its simply a case of create an account in DA and its done for you, whether your admin OR reseller.

Just because you cant compile (replace with any compiled software) as a reseller doesnt mean it has to be implemented into the DA panel.... slow down a bit :)

Chris

ProWebUK said:
slow down a bit

Oh, all right. :)

It's just that I've been struggling to install awstats off and on for about 6 months and I'm really tired of webalizer's limitations. (not only DA's fault--I was already annoyed at webalizer years ago on my first site, where I was also stuck with it.)

It almost makes me want to go back to cPanel, just to have good stats. :)

ProWebUK said:

I personally think an AwStats add-on may be better than having it as a forced feature, give me 'til early next week see if i can get it automated and setup for all sites on a script

Any luck on this?

To be honest with you not even looked at it yet..... have numerous things which unfortunately take priority at the moment (ok that doesn't include reading these forums :D)

Got a few things to do right now , since I said early this week I might have a look at it later tonight (if i dont get dragged away with even more work :rolleyes: )

Chris

ProWebUK said:
To be honest with you not even looked at it yet..... have numerous things which unfortunately take priority at the moment (ok that doesn't include reading these forums :D)

Believe me I know the feeling!

twv said:
Thanks for the offer. I have tried to install awstats for my clients, but have not succeeded. As a reseller, I don't seem to have the necessary permissions. But then my host tried, and I don't think she was able to, either.

If possible, please make a script that will work for both resellers and admins.

Also, what happens when the next version of DA comes out? Does the add-on get overwritten?

And finally, how will my users get access to awstats? Will they be able to see it from their control panel?

awstats installs very nicely and easily per domain, at least on the host that I use. I have a reseller account at my web host and have 6 domains that I play with, and have awstats installed on 4 of them and it works great.

What isn't working for you?

sbchasin said:
awstats installs very nicely and easily per domain, at least on the host that I use. I have a reseller account at my web host and have 6 domains that I play with, and have awstats installed on 4 of them and it works great.

What isn't working for you?

To be honest it's been several months since I tried and I don't remember at this point.

I'm sure that with enough effort and persistence and help from this forum I could get it to work. But right now I don't have the time or the inclination. And frankly, I don't think I should have to. Awstats is a great free package; it blows webalizer out of the water. It should, IMO, come with DA by default.

This forum is the place for requesting features, and to my mind this is a feature that is well worth adding to the default DA installation. So I'm requesting it!

If you're interested, here is the (never answered) post that my admin made when she was trying to install it:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=14521#post14521

I like the idea of it being integrated though and not a external thing that must be maintained seperatly and modding the control panel to make it look like its integrated. It might also cause problems during upgrades if to much of the skin changes with the control panel.

So I vote for it to replace webalizer.

-Jon-

jmstacey said:
So I vote for it to replace webalizer.
And I disagree vehemently. Never replace something that clients are already using with something they're not used to.

If you replace webalizer with AW Stats how will site-owners see their old stats? Or are you volunteering to write the conversion?

Even if you give them the conversion, those who like the simplicity of webalizer could change hosting providers.

There's no reason not to leave it on and give people a choice.

If DA adds it, I'd hope they add it as an add-on, not as a replacement, as they added squirrelmail in addition to Uebimaiu.

Jeff

I never said you could only have one, just saying I'd rather have awstats than webalizer, but both are a good idea, but it will require more space as each program will have its own data files.

Both would be excellent, or maybe the option of the client chosing which one is wanted.

Last edited:
i'll throw in my vote to have awstats added to DA.. or at least have it as an optional install.

I find it provides more stats and it's a little friendlier in presentation I think.

agree!

but, preference:

1- full backup server
2- configurable from panel antispam/antivirus solution
3- awstats

Back