debian status

blueice

Verified User
Hi,
i have read in the past that directadmin it is posssible to support debian in the future.
Is there any update about this?
So finally it is possible to see debian in the next months?
Thanks
Christos

I believe the current focus is on RHE and Fedora, Debian will probably follow shortly after them (unofficial words :))

Chris

ProWebUK said:
I believe the current focus is on RHE and Fedora, Debian will probably follow shortly after them (unofficial words :))

Chris
Thanks for the info.
But i not understand why fedora is more important from debian.
fedora is a non-stable OS who released to help the RH ent. Also fedora make releases every 6 months, so need lot of time to support every release.
Debian released every 2-3 years so if you make a release of debian it is needed only to update this.
Also debian is very stable (real rock) so you can have stable servers with minimal cost and updates.
For this reason i think it is important to make soon support for debian.

If you search the webhosting forums you can see many people who search for a good control panel for debian. So if directadmin support debian before other control panels can have many more interest to buy people.
I am interest to see an official answer of this.
Thanks and sorry for my bad English.
Christos

Redhat (as a whole) is still one of the most widely used linux distros around and therefore needs to be suppored before RH9 reaches its EOL later this month.

We have already discovered that DA works 95% perfect on Fedora as it is, just minor changes here and there are required it appears, I think its safe to say that Fedora shouldnt be considered a drastic long term change over with lots of code difference, it's not.

Chris

Casting vote for Debian

My vote is for Debian.

Why?

-- No other major control panel vendor (cPanel, Ensim, Plesk, H-Sphere) supports it.
-- Stable, secure, and (best of all) a commitment to remain completely free.

We're on RH9 right now, but I'm keeping an eye toward other OSes that may meet our needs. I'm not particularly interested in FreeBSD, though I'm glad it's an option. I would definitely support DA+Debian.

Re: Casting vote for Debian

SlashChick said:
My vote is for Debian.

Why?

-- No other major control panel vendor (cPanel, Ensim, Plesk, H-Sphere) supports it.

We're on RH9 right now, but I'm keeping an eye toward other OSes that may meet our needs. I'm not particularly interested in FreeBSD, though I'm glad it's an option. I would definitely support DA+Debian.
yes debian is rock!

We'd also really (really really really!!) like to run DA on Debian. Any (official) status of when this will be supported?

villah said:
We'd also really (really really really!!) like to run DA on Debian. Any (official) status of when this will be supported?
Yea,
can inform us a admin about the status?
Christos

Hello,

We have not done any work on Debian yet. It will probably come after Fedora and RHE, but we can't give you a timeframe on that.

John

Re: Casting vote for Debian

SlashChick said:
My vote is for Debian.

Why?

This new CP supports Debian, lithiumsp

http://www.lithiumsp.com

I can't get their demo to work, and their forum indicates nothing is working at all.

Jeff

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

We have not done any work on Debian yet. It will probably come after Fedora and RHE, but we can't give you a timeframe on that.

John
Hi,
now Fedora and RHE is released.
So you have plan to begin work with debian soon?
Thanks for the answer.
Christos

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

John
So? any update of debian?
lot of people wait for a good debian panel, so i think you can find many new customers if you are the first good panel who support this.
Christos

Hello,

We've started to design our new licensing system, and have a few other features on the go. I believe debian would be the next new OS after the other projects.

John

Any news on this? Come on guys!

The only chnage I see is in the paths and the APT system, which is a hell lot better than ReDhat RPMS......

Like I said in the other threads floating around that have a similar topic, and I think most will agree. I'd rather see more features such as the completion of a Complete system restore now that the backup system is implemented or jail for ssh, etc.

Why? Because for every Operating System DA adds its another binary they have to update with each release, making them farther and farther apart.

Back