DNS A Record - Keep MX Record

twthomas

I want to be able to point just my A record to a third party ip address to host my site, but keep control of everything else (i.e. my email and sub domains). Can I do this? If, so how? I tried the obvious things like changing mydomain.com. A My.IP.Address to mydomain.com. A NewHost.IP.Address and nothing changed. mydomain.com still pointed to My.IP.Address. I did the same for the www A My.IP.Address and nothing.

Thank you for your help.

Trent

That is easy if your DA server is also the nameserver for the domain (ns1.domain.com, ns2.domain.com). I assume this is true.

Here is what I assume. Your servers ip is 2.2.2.2 and the remote server hosting your website is 1.1.1.1

You would have

www.domain.com. A 1.1.1.1
domain.com A 1.1.1.1
mail.domain.com. A 2.2.2.2
mail.domain.com MX 10

Now all the email will go to your DA server and the website will be hosted somewhere else.

I tried your answer to the problem and it did not work, however, I do not have the same DA server that is also the nameserver for the domain (ns1.domain.com, ns2.domain.com). My name server is ns1.rosehosting.com and ns2.rosehosting.com and my DA server where my mail arrives is www.mydomain.com. Do I need to contact the admin at rosehosting and ask them to make any changes on their end?

Thank you,
Trent

Back