Error With Webmin...Help Me..

blackmetal

Verified User
Hello,
my webmin on my server stop without any problem i uninstall it and then when i want install it this error show for me on ssh :
Code:
rpm -i webmin-1.380-1.noarch.rpm
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.50794: line 1: perl: command not found
Failed to create or check temp files directory /tmp/.webmin
error: %pre(webmin-1.380-1.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping webmin-1.380-1
... i check port 10000 in iptables and trust it on it..
how can i do for solve this problem
special thanks
bye

First of all that webmin is old.

Try:

rpm -Uvh "http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin-1.390-1.noarch.rpm"

if that doesnt work install it via source its not hard to do

Code:
cd /usr/local/src

wget "http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin-1.390.tar.gz"
tar xvfz web*gz
cd webmin-1.3*
sh setup.sh

Then just follow the instructions. Most of the time you are just hitting enter.

First of all that webmin is old.

Try:

rpm -Uvh "http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin-1.390-1.noarch.rpm"

if that doesnt work install it via source its not hard to do

Code:
cd /usr/local/src

wget "http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin-1.390.tar.gz"
tar xvfz web*gz
cd webmin-1.3*
sh setup.sh

Then just follow the instructions. Most of the time you are just hitting enter.
1.I install it via source...and do not write perl path...how can i get full path for perl in my server?
2.is there any better script than webmin for use?
special thanks
bye

Is it safe to use webmin to manage centos with directadmin? I am newbie to linux and webmin seems very usefull.
Thanks

Webmin is safe to use as long as you keep it updated. If there are bugs or something that come out and you dont have it updated you could have problems.

Webmin is safe to use as long as you keep it updated. If there are bugs or something that come out and you dont have it updated you could have problems.

Thanks for respond. Can I always update modules like dns, apache, php, mysql to latest release safely? Do I have any trouble / conflict with DA ?

The modules in webmin have nothing to do with the actual software they are just used to control the software. You should use the custombuild built into directadmin to update the software to current versions.

thanks again. So I can safely use webmin. Is there any disadvantages using webmin instead of ssh console? As I am still learning linux webmin is very easy for me to get start. I am a win guy.

Webmin is great incase there is a problem with ssh. I have been able to repair broken servers before with webmin because things got way messed up and I couldnt ssh in. Always nice to have a 2nd way in the server.

BTW, there is an option in webmin Upgrade All Packages which upgrades all installed packages to latest release. Does not that also make the ame work with custombuild ?
Thanks

Webmin is not meant for installing software it is meant for administering your server.

yes via its interface, I can install, upgrade and uninstall packages like mysql which also can be done via ssh console. Thats what I asked if I can use it to upgrade modules needed by DA safely.

You should NOT use webmin to control software updates, installations, etc., or to manage configuration files managed by DirectAdmin unless you'd feel comfortable using generic linux tools to do the same thing from the command line; you can break DirectAdmin using Webmin.

Specifically all the programs installed by RPMs or other package systems should continue to updated/installed/etc. by the packages system, whether through the shell or Webmin, and all programs installed by DirectAdmin (using CustomBuild or otherwise) should be installed by DirectAdmin tools, whether through Webmin or otherwise.

If Webmin installs a package for software that was installed previously by DirectAdmin, or vice-versa, you WILL break your server.

DirectAdmin staff has posted previously in these forums that they do not support Webmin and DirectAdmin on the same server. Some of us have made it work, but if you use it and break your server you may end up having to fix it yourself or paying someone else to fix it for you.

Jeff

Back