Custombuild and FreeBSD 6.2 !

Conrad

Verified User
Yesterday i installed DA and custombuild on my server. I was hoping that everything went as smooth as it always did with customapache. I placed .custombuild in the root dir and hit ./setup.sh

De first part of the install did make sense and went smooth.

I choose to install both php4 and php5 as CGI so i could choose which php version the user could use.

After the installation is noticed that suphp was installed, i noticed because
php wasn't working at all and al i got were errors abou permisson of UID en GID etc. So i decided to remove suphp, but because i did not succedd of installing php without suphp with custombuild i decided tot install just php5 cli and put the php4 on another server.

Also choose mysql4.1 because of compatiblity isues of oscommerce.
But because roundcube did return errors of wrong table versions, i think they were meant fot mysql5 i decided to upgrade tot mysql5.0.
That went fine, but i noticed that there was no my.cnf present.

After several hours later i have everything up and running, but not with the options i first wanted.

So my conclusion is that custombuild is not as stable or good as customapache? With customapache i never had any issues.

I hope one day custombuild will be a good tool in the future, because i love DA and it's a pitty that is not easy to install on at least FreeBSD 6

Keep up the good work.

Conrad

Please do understand that i'm not saying custombuild sucks or something like that. I think it will be a major set forward ...

But in my opinion an installation of DA must.

OR if i'm installing with custombuild, it must at least result in a working situation.
(there are tons of issues that must be resolved before getting a working situation)

OR or there must be a reasonable install manual when using custombuild.
(this is not the case)

I do not understand that Direct Admin is supporting custombuild 1.1 while is not finished and not working good on all supported Os.

and please, why is it not possible to install php4 en 5 as CGI without suphp?

Conrad, I fully understand you, but CustomBuild is finished. You can find bugs in CustomApache too, someone reports them - and they are fixed. You can not have both PHP4 and PHP5 as mod_php because apache can not handle them both by default. IP/~user is not safe at all (using both CustomApache and CustomBuild), you can try it by yourself - set open_basedir or enable safe_mode, go to phpinfo using IP/~user and it will not have any restrictions (because it does not catch virtualhost settings). Letting users to reach their website using suPHP and IP/~user could be a feature request (it is possible to use http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=176 by default).

Ha martynas,

I understand,
but what do you mean in the custombuild faq nr 12 ?
That would be a solution for some applications that do not run with php5.

So php5 default and php4 still optional.

The solution in the KB is clear, but isnt that something almost everyone
does to avoid problems? And is it no a good idea to write a good manual with al
these issues. That would save al lot of problems and time.

What do you suggest in configuring. I had eg also problems with roundcube install as i intend to install Mysqk 4.1 (oscommerce). ?

You can have one as CGI and one as CLI (mod_php) or both as CGI. If you use CGI mode - you must use suPHP because of compatibility problems without it.

Back