Nameservers.. Kind of both, admin and reseller issue.

ramirez

Verified User
EDIT.
I just noticed that there's a DNS section in Technical Discussion, sorry for not noticing before.

Well, first of all, this isn't really a problem, I just need some guidance.
First of all, I have 2 IPs, the server IP, and one that I got yesterday. I setup normally the IP in admin panel, and then went into reseller panel, going to add nameservers.
And that's what I did.
After that I thought that maybe it was good to read the help file to see if I missed something or did something wrong, and I opened it, and saw this:
"1) You cannot assign a name server to a server-owned IP (e.g. the first IP address in the table above)"
After I read this, I cleared my nameservers from my IPs just to be sure.

Now, here's the thing.
My friend is running a fairly big server, and he is using the same IP for the main server and secondary nameserver of his, and it's working perfectly, no problems or anything, he isn't using DirectAdmin by the way.
I'd like to know WHY I can't do this (Direct Admin doesn't give an error or anything if I use the server IP).
Is there some sort of drawback or what..?

Also either way, using the IPs I have now or getting third one, after I've setup the 2 nameservers, I still need to register the nameservers with those IPs and names on my domain provider place, right?

Thanks for your time, and thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this for me. :)

Last edited:
Hello,

The IPs don't really matter, but the reason it won't let him is because as a Reseller, he doesn't have authority over the sever IP (normally shared across the server). You can easy get around that by just selecting "virtual" when creating the nameservers. It will then just use the 2 IP that return from the nameservers set in the admin settings.

Any nameserver needs to be registered.. and you'll specify the IP there.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

The IPs don't really matter, but the reason it won't let him is because as a Reseller, he doesn't have authority over the sever IP (normally shared across the server). You can easy get around that by just selecting "virtual" when creating the nameservers. It will then just use the 2 IP that return from the nameservers set in the admin settings.

Any nameserver needs to be registered.. and you'll specify the IP there.

John
Hey, thanks for answer.
I never had problem that I (it was me who was adding, as an admin user via reseller panel) couldn't assign it to server IP, like I said I did, but I removed it after thinking that there may be some reason why you can't assign it to that.
But I got exactly the answer I wanted and hoped for, as well. Thanks for the fast support. :)

If you point both ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com to the same IP# you're pointing out to anyone who cares to look that you have only one nameserver.

Which is considered "a bad thing" as there's no redundancy.

Of course if you have the same server responding to two IP#s and have one nameserver on each of them you again don't have any redundancy, but at least casual bystanders don't notice it :) .

Jeff

This is a response to Merv Hosting; the original poster has had his problem taken care of quite some time ago...

Well, for one thing:

mailservers.

If mailservers get a temporary error (as they do if the nameserver is still online but the site isn't) they'll continue to try patiently for up to four or five days before giving up and sending back the email as unadeliverable. However if mailservers can't find a nameserver, they'll send the email back immediately with an announcement that says, in effect: This domain does NOT exist. Somehow I think that's not too good for business :eek: .

And for another thing:

visitors

When visitors attempt to visit a site that's down, as long as the nameservers are up, they get a temporary error. But if they attempt to visit a site for which there are no running nameservers, they'll report back that the site doesn't exist. See my comment about how this affects business above.

If your server is rented or in a colocation center, then your provider may offer slave name service (having someone else do it using your nameserver name at another IP#) may be included as part of your service.

If not, then slave nameservice and the redundancy it offers, is available for aobut us$0.30 (that's 30c) per month per domain name. I think it's worth it.

Jeff

Back