DA mishandling DNS ?

morlack

Verified User
For transparency reasons I purchased two IP's with my host. And have set up my own Nameservers.
Unfortunately I get error messages in OpenCrs and Enom when I point domains to my DNS :

*****Errors modifying nameservers: Nameserver ns1.innovacionesespiral.com cannot be registered*****

My host assures me that I have done everything correctly and that they have opened a ticket with you here at Direct Admin . This has been going on for over 3 weeks and there's still no word ?

Any help would be greatfully received.

Hello,

Just an FYI: We reply to all email right away, so if they sent us antything, we would have replied 3 weeks ago.

John

This is the history:

20 Feb : We have a ticket in at DA on this situation

24 feb : No response from DA...I'll kick on the door again.

29 feb : I'm currently having an issue assigning and processing static IP addresses... not sure what the issue is, we've got a helpdesk ticket open with DirectAdmin... I'll keep you updated.

I've heard nothing from my host, so that's why I'm here, it's been 3 weeks and I haven't been able to start re-selling yet.

To be honest I really don't understand the more technical aspects of DNS yet I have followed the site-helper.com section to the letter and still no joy.

"a helpdesk ticket open with DirectAdmin" ? Does DA even offer helpdesk support? I didn't think so..

morlack said:
This is the history:

20 Feb : We have a ticket in at DA on this situation

24 feb : No response from DA...I'll kick on the door again.

29 feb : I'm currently having an issue assigning and processing static IP addresses... not sure what the issue is, we've got a helpdesk ticket open with DirectAdmin... I'll keep you updated.

I've heard nothing from my host, so that's why I'm here, it's been 3 weeks and I haven't been able to start re-selling yet.

To be honest I really don't understand the more technical aspects of DNS yet I have followed the site-helper.com section to the letter and still no joy.

If you hosting company does not answer your questions same day you need to get a new company. I am sure you server is working its your configuration.

Morlack,

DirectAdmin doesn't open tickets; they do respond to emailed requests for tech support.

If your host can't help you but can only give you excuses, then it's time for you to find another host (with apologies to existenz, who already said it); I'm sure a lot of us here will be happy to help you with that :) .

Did you set up A records for your nameservers in your zone?

You need A records for:

ns1.innovacionesespiral.com

and for

ns2.innovacionesespiral.com

and they need to point (1 each) to the two IP#s you got from your reseller.

Can you ping those IP#s? If you can't, then your reseller still has some work to do to get them set up for you.

But my tests show that you do have A records, and your IP#s are pingable:

Code:
[jeff@of1 jeff]$ ping ns1.innovacionesespiral.com
PING ns1.innovacionesespiral.com (63.247.79.152) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 63.247.79.152: icmp_seq=1 ttl=42 time=81.1 ms
64 bytes from 63.247.79.152: icmp_seq=2 ttl=42 time=81.4 ms

and

Code:
[jeff@of1 jeff]$ ping ns2.innovacionesespiral.com
PING ns2.innovacionesespiral.com (63.247.79.153) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 63.247.79.153: icmp_seq=1 ttl=42 time=81.8 ms
64 bytes from 63.247.79.153: icmp_seq=2 ttl=42 time=81.2 ms

According to whois, your innovacionesespiral.com domain is registered through HostPC Internet Services, a reseller of Enom domain registration services. Have you set up new nameservers (hosts) at HostPC?

Note that setting up a new nameserver is NOT the same as assigning a nameserver to a domain; I can't tell you how HostPC allows you to do that because I don't have an account there, but that's what you have to do.

Note the 1st and 3rd "Fail" messages at
DNS Report; these errors occur because these really aren't "stealth" nameservers; they just appear to be so because they've not been properly registered as hosts with HostPC.

Until you do that, you can't assign them as nameservers to your domain.

You're welcome to call me if you need more clarification, or to send me your telephone number, and ask me to call you (you can send it in either ane email or a private message here).

Jeff

Well thanks a lot for all your help.
I've decided to scrap the idea of having my own nameservers, at least with my present host.

I'm going to try and resell using my host's nameservers. Obviously not the best outcome - yet I see no end to this situation.

I'll bare in mind your offers for hosting when I have used my assigned resources.

Thanks again!!

If that's your decision, then so be it.

However there's absolutely nothing your host can do or not do which will affect your ability to use your own virtual nameservers, if you can modify your own DNS.

Here's what you need to do:

1) tell your hosting company you're going to use their nameservers for DNS. Have them correct any errors in your DNS records.

2) Determine the IP#s for your hosts nameservers, i.e.:

ns1.yourhost.com 12.34.56.78
ns2.yourhost.com 12.34.56.79

3) Then go to your domain registrar and register two nameservers (registering a nameserver is NOT the same as assigning a nameserver; if you don't know how to register nameservers with your registrar, ask them for instructions; I can only tell you how to do it with my domain registration service, as each one is different.

Register these:
ns1.yourdomain.com 12.34.56.78
ns2.yourdomain.com 12.34.56.79

using your domain name but the same IP#s your hosting company uses for their nameservers.

4) In your DNS control panel add two A records, one for:

ns1.yourdomain.com 12.34.56.78

and one for:

ns2.yourdomain.com 12.34.56.79

if they do not already exist.

5) In your DNS control panel remove any existing NS records and add two, one for ns1.yourdomain.com and one for ns2.yourdomain.com.

These instructions will work. Anywhere. With any hosting company and any control panel I've ever seen, as long as you can modify your DNS records yourself.

You do NOT have to have your own IP#s to have your own nameservers. Years ago you did, but it's no longer a requirement.

Jeff

Hey Jeff
Thanks for that info.
I was under the impression that I needed my own static ip's to have nameservers and am pleasantly surprised to learn that I don't !!

Thanks again for all your help
:)

I was speaking with a gent last night who told me that there are some top level domains which don't allow nameservers to share IP#s.

There may be, but we haven't seen any.

Our background?

We've been doing fully redundant slave DNS hosting for clients for at least four years (I'd have to check the records) and until two years ago we used to set up extra IP#s for people who wanted their slave DNS to be at ns2.theirdomain.com instead of at ns2.ns-one.net.

We stopped doing that about two years ago, and now all our accounts use our main server IP#s whether they use our domain or theirs for their nameservers, and we've not heard of any problems.

Jeff

Back