Outlook password problem

eabrownell

Verified User
I have a password problem in outlook. I have 3 domains and this is only happening to 1 email address in 1 of the domains.

[email protected] & [email protected] have all the same settings in outlook but when the send/recieve happens it always asks me for the password for the [email protected]. I only have to click ok since the password is already filled in but it is very anoying to do this every 5 minutes. I have deleted the account in outlook and recreated it but it did not help. Is this an outlook issue or an issue with the pop account?

Thanks for your help...

In outlook in accounts select that account, and in its properties check option "remember password"

yes, this is checked but it still pops up asking for password every time. When the window appars asking me to put in my password the stored password is already inserted and the "save password in password list" box is unchecked.

THs is one of the admin email addresses and I thought it is coming up because there are identical passwords for different usernames.

Any other suggestions?

Looks like another outlook bug. Try to update it with windows update. And go thru all accounts to make sure option to save password is checked on all accounts.

having the exact same problem.
I triple checked all settings and am up to date with all windows and outlook settings.

Does anyone have a fix ?

I'm having the exact same problem with one of my clients. I'm starting to wonder if its the version of outlook that their using.

I went to office.microsoft.com and uploaded the latest fixes and sp and it made no difference..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

password problem

I am having a similar problem. I have a pop mail account. But when I try to download using outlook express its giving the following problem:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'aitechgroup mail', Server: 'mail.site-helper.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Bad login', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Any solutions

Last edited:
Re: password problem

pramod said:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'aitechgroup mail', Server: 'mail.site-helper.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Bad login', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
Pramod, I don't know who gave you the information to use 'aitechgroup mail' as your login and mail.site-helper.com' as your mail server, but they are most certainly not right.

Your login is the same as your email address.

Your pop3 server is mail.example.com where example.com should be replaced by your domain name.

Jeff

For the others, try:

tools > accounts > (select account) > properties > servers tab > re-enter pass > apply, ok, close > send/receieve

If you have chnaged the password since you entered that account into outlook you will always get the popup even after you enter the first time.... going into accounts is the only fix afaik.

Chris

It looks like the outlook pop-up occurs when 2 devices are trying to retreive mail from the same pop3 account at the same time.

When i disable the other mail client from my other machine, it doesn't happen. Could there be a setting in Direct Admin that will allow Simultaneous mail server login from 2 different computers?

Can't happen, Gladiator.

It's got nothing to do with DA.

The server uses mbox format; all the incoming email stored on the server for a given account is stored in one file, which is manipulated (both read and written to) by the POP3 server when you download mail.

The first thing the POP3 server does when you download mail is locks the file, so two processes can't write to it at the same time, since that would cause data corruption.

Jeff

Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange

Good day all, I am experiencing the same problem. This began today, this afternoon. One user is experiencing this symptom. I've got Exchange 2003 running on Server 2003 with Outlook 2003. All of this worked flawlessly until today. One user is being asked for the username and password every single time she attempts to send / receive using outlook. The application (outlook) opens in an offline mode, and when a send / receive is attempted it attempts to connect. Now, I'm using domain level authentication at the workstation level, everyone's in one domain. Outlook should use the kerberos auth method to pass the user creds on to the exchange server. This particular user is being asked to log into the exchange server specifically (the credentials dialogue is asking her to log into 'exchangeserver.domain.local'), which is strange because the domain controlers (my exchange is NOT on a DC) should be the doing the authentication and Kerberos should be taking care of this issue. Even though we are positive that the user is typing her password in correctly (domain\username and password), the server still rejects the credentials. This morning i was refining the ntp services through my vm infrastructure, and i've verified that all of the servers times are synchronised, as i know that a few minutes off will cause kerberos to fail. I have checked that the exchange profile is the default profile to be used, i've verified that kerbros is the default authentication method under the user's profile settings in outlook. I've verified that outlook is NOT using RPC over HTTP for connectivity (since it's on the local lan). I've never seen this symptom before unless there was a good explination (bad username, incorrect password, incorrect server name, etc.). I've verified that the user's account is not locked out in active directory. We are also sure that the user is using the correct password. :confused:

Please anyone with any ideas, please post suggestions. This is the head of our accounting department, and i've been threatened with loosing my next year's budget if i can't get this fixed soon. :eek:

Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange

Ok, I seem to have answered my own question. While I was writing the post, I thought of something else, checked it, and while I found no problems, I think that the issue ironed itself out. For my particular situation, the issue was, I DID change the time by a few minutes when I was refining my NTP services. This change does not replicate to domain controllers because: Even though I've got Group Policy set to tell all workstations and member servers to update the time using my PDC as the authoritative time server, the domain controllers OU, by design, overrides all domain level GPO's. I had to set a seperate GPO for my (non primary) Domain Controllers to update their time from the PDC. In logging into the other domain controller, the GPO that effects my user told the server to update it's time directly. (Hence, I found no problem when I looked.) This user level command that updated the server's time to the PDC's time must have fixed the problem. Moments after that the user in question was able to use Outlook as normal. Kerberos authentication, by design, will not work if the two computers have clocks that are set greater than 10 minutes apart. The time changes I made were about 14 minutes. This does explain the symptom, however I have no way to confirm or refute the theory. I just wanted to re-post with the hopes that this information may help someone else out there.

Cheers, and Good Day! :D

Last edited:
Back