Email Issues

chris68

Verified User
Hey again,

I have a direct admin account with the following nameservers being used there:

ns5.mydomain.com
ns6.mydomain.com

However, email sent from that server, does not go to the catchall email address on another server where the main domain is hosted at, which use the nameservers ns3 and ns4.

There is an A record that the host added with the following info:
name: Mail
Type: A
Value: The ip address of my main domain where the catchall email address is located.

There is also a MX record added with the following info:
name: mail.mydomain.com
Type: MX
Value: 10

So any ideas why email sent from that server is not being forwarded to the main catchall address on the other server?

Thanks, and I hope I explained this properly!

EDIT Just saw the "email" related forum. Sorry, move this there if desired :)

Last edited:
If you'll pass on the domain names involved on both servers we can do some testing.

It sounds as if a subdomain is configured to accept email for a domain, but I'm not sure.

Jeff

Sure Jeff.

On server mars.webhostnow.com
I have the nameservers:

ns3.webhostnow.com
ns4.webhostnow.com
Everything is working fine on this server.

On server saturn.webhostnow.com

The server that is not sending out email to anything @webhostnow.com has the nameservers:
ns5.webhostnow.com
ns6.webhostnow.com

Thanks for your time Jeff. I am sure this is a simple configuration issue here that I messed up somewhere :)

Chris

It has nothing to do with the nameservers.

It sounds as if saturn.webhostnow.com think's it's authoritative for webhostnow.com email.

So it doesn't try to send it anywhere.

Watch your /var/log/exim/mainlog file using:

tail -f /var/log/exim/mainlog

while trying to send email, to see what happens.

Jeff

It looks like I am getting this error because the saturn server is sending the mail as [email protected], instead of [email protected]

Snip from the email headers after attempting to send an email to webhostnow.com from the webmail:

begin returned email:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL
SIZE=3371:
host mecca.servint.com [209.50.225.14]: 553 5.1.8
[email protected]>... Domain of sender address
[email protected] does not exist

Here are my DNS settings: (sorry for the poor formatting)

ftp A 208.185.248.136
localhost.webhostnow.com. A 127.0.0.1
mail A 216.22.10.193
ns5.webhostnow.com. A 208.185.248.136
ns6.webhostnow.com. A 208.185.248.136
pop A 208.185.248.136
webhostnow.com. A 208.185.248.136
www A 208.185.248.136
webhostnow.com. NS ns5.webhostnow.com.
webhostnow.com. NS ns6.webhostnow.com.
mail.webhostnow.com. MX 10

So how do I change the ip to the domain if that is what needs to be done? Or do I need change the settings above? I've wasted enough time on this, that's why I come here for help. Thanks.

Chris,

I just sent you a private message with an email address to try sending me a message at.

Please also send one to the email address at the bottom of this post.

If you get either back please let me know by private message here.

Do you have a standard exim install on your DA system or have you made any changes to exim.conf?

By default exim should pick up your hostname.

From your command line please try:

$ hostname

and let us know what you get.

Are you eligible for DirectAdmin support? Anyone renting DirectAdmin gets unlimited tech support and anyone purchasing it gets it for the first 90 days.

The reason I ask is because if you have tech support perhaps they can log into your system and help you.

While we're happy to log in and support you, we do charge for it; perhaps you can get help either from DirectAdmin tech support or from someone else on this forum at no charge if you can't figure it out yourself.

Otherwise we'll be happy to log in, find the problem and fix it, but there would be a charge.

Jeff

Sent. Thanks Jeff.

I am a reseller on this particular server, and I don't have ssh access. I already contacted support and he gave me the powers to be able to edit the DNS zone myself and to set the appropriate MX record. He said it should work as it's configured now but I should also be able to change the authoritive status of the domain or set the authoritive servers from the DirectAdmin panel. But the settings look okay to me.

I want to try to fix this on my own if possible from here on out. I hate bugging support before I attempt to fix the problem :)

Note that I did get your message to the address I sent you in the private message, but I didn't get an email to my address in my sig; if you sent one, then you're being blocked because of a misconfiguration in the exim mailserver.

Your IP# resolves to gobbleturkey.our-websites.com:

[jeff@of1 jeff]$ nslookup 208.185.247.200
Server: 192.168.2.1
Address: 192.168.2.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
200.247.185.208.in-addr.arpa name = gobbleturkey.our-websites.com.

but gobbleturkey.our-websites.com resolves to 208.185.243.94:

[jeff@of1 jeff]$ nslookup gobbleturkey.our-websites.com
Server: 192.168.2.1
Address: 192.168.2.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
gobbleturkey.our-websites.com canonical name = our-websites.com.
Name: our-websites.com
Address: 208.185.243.94

By itself this shouldn't cause a problem.

But some mailservers (maybe the one you're trying to send to) do an MX lookup on mailservers for incoming mail because their admins sincerely believe that every outgoing mailserver should also accept email (at least to postmaster), and therefore have an mx record.

gobbleturkey.our-websites.com doesn't have an mx record; what it has is a CNAME record resolving it to our-websites.com, which does have an MX record.

However what it should have in order for these "paranoid" mailservers to accept email from it is an mx record pointing directly to a name resolved by an A record.

If these issues are part of your problem you won't be able to resolve it yourself.

Jeff

Back