Notifying users (motd like style)

jmstacey

Verified User
Perhaps a feature like the motd that would come up in a box when a user logins to the control panel so that us admins could keep out clients up to date with server maitenance down time etc instead of messaging all users since some users might not check their messages and if it was right there when they logged in they would read it.

Didn't know if this was something the API could handle to write my own script or a 3rd party theme could have that capablity

Just my suggestion ;)

How about if it just had a link to display the MOTD?

That would be a cool solution since all platforms has the ability and its built into the systems. It would also be cool since you can display that for your shell users. The only caveat is that FreeBSD system display the system information by default you might not want that dispalyed for security reasons.

The admin area could have a option to change the motd.

Add a bit of javascript to open a popup with an external page upon login :)

Chris

So what do you say DA developers?

Although I would say it should not be a pop up because some users have a pop-up blockers therefore they wouldn't recieve the message. It would be better to be in a red box at the top of the control panel or something..

-Jon-

Hello,

Sounds "fun" :)

How should it be implemented then.. a popup ... the popup would be best, but popup blockers are a valid point. I could just add a token holding it, and the token would only be shown once, and then just filled with "" if it's been seen. Then skin designers could do whatever they want.. It could just be inserted at the top of the page...

John

ProWebUK said:
Add a bit of javascript to open a popup with an external page upon login :)

Chris

I would't do that! We only support standards complient browsers and most of those have built-in pop-up blockers on by default.

If it was a link "View MOTD" that was a pop-up that would be ok. It should be implemented in such a way that that you could have it as a pop-up or the actual message could be implemented directly into the skin.

It would also be handy to add a API so that we could drop that information on our public websites.

Well, theres plenty of ways to do it all possible without the need of any tokens etc....... now scripting is enabled almost anything is possible, including this.

Chris

Perhaps... a token holding a link to the page showing the MOTD.. the token will be empty, unless their is a new MOTD, at which time the link will be inserted. Might be able to also figure something out so they can set the actual link text in the skin (for languages etc).. we'll see.

John

This is possible by just editing our themes directly I guess, but to make it easier you know?

Back