newbie question

CyberAlien

Verified User
Hello,

This might be a very stupid question, but i don't know how to correctly handle this task.

There are 8 IPs of server. Administrator "admin" has first 2 ips assigned to ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com and all users created by "admin" have first ip assigned to them

I created another administrator "admin2". I want to create custom name servers for that admin: ns1.domain2.com and ns2.domain2.com with 3rd and 4th ips and all users/resellers created by that admin should be assigned to 3rd ip. What steps should i do to create it properly?

Hello,

1) create admin2
2) go to the IP Manager and assign "admin2" the 3rd and 4th IP.
3) (make sure domain2.com has been created under admin2) then go to admin2 -> Reseller Panel -> Nameservers and create the nameservers.
4) goto admin2 -> Reseller Panel -> IP Assignment and set the 3rd IP to shared.

admin2 can now create all Users on the 3rd IP... What isn't standard is sharing a non-server IP (3rd IP) among many Resellers. This *can* be done manually, but isn't possible with the default setup. You can just manually add the 3rd IP to the Resellers ip.list file in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/resellername/ip.list (this could be possible with the custom user_create_post.sh script to make it automatic.

John

Thanks, but now i have different problem. I tried to assign one domain to those nameservers at enom, but enom sais this: "Errors modifying nameservers: Nameserver ns1.securitymonster.com cannot be registered".

ns1.securitymonster.com and ns2.securitymonster.com both have A records that point to correct IPs, but for some weird reason enom doesn't want to assign those nameservers to other domains.

This sounds as if you never registered ns1.securitymonster.com with the domain registrar for securitymonster.com.

Note that a lot of us, even a lot of registrars, have a lot of problems understanding the difference between registering a nameserver, and confuse it with assigning a nameserver to a domain.

First you must register the nameserver as a nameserver (sometimes as a "host") with the same registry you used to register the domain.

Then you can assign it as a nameserver to other domains.

Jeff

Works perfectly!!! Thank you very very much.

I had to register new domain though - to register nameservers powerpipe wanted 20$ but godaddy has it for free so i prefered to register new domain at godaddy instead and use their service.

CyberAlien said:
Works perfectly!!! Thank you very very much.
Thank you <blush>. I'm glad to hear it.
I had to register new domain though - to register nameservers powerpipe wanted 20$
Total ripoff. They don't pay a penny to do register it.
but godaddy has it for free so i prefered to register new domain at godaddy instead and use their service.
Everyone I've ever heard it does it for free, except powerpipe, which I'd never heard of before.

We've been registering nameservers at our domain registration site at no charge since we started selling domain names (approximately four years ago).

Jeff

i am looking at the godaddy website but they dont seem to have listed it as a feature... are they guaranteed to do it because i will transfer my domain name if they do!

Select domain, on right bottom you'll see "Domain Host Summary" few lines below nameservers.

Back