Remote FTP Backups

johnallen

Verified User
Hello,

DirectAdmin is a wonderful control panel. I do not care to see shell access added for users.

I would like to see a feature in directadmin that would allow me to configure directadmin to tarball every user's files, mysql databases, email, etc.. Then to FTP it over to another computer.

It would need to do this at 4:00am every night. It would also be nice if it monitored the load average of the server. If the load average went high (say around 5.0) then it would pause and wait for the load to drop again.

Thanks!

John Allen

I think this would be better done with a cron job and shell script then from the control panel itself

there is a backup script howto hanging around here somewhere...
With this howto you install a program that can backup and FTP.
If you would put that in a cronjob, you have what you requested, although i do agree serverwide backups should be able to happen from DA itsself.
Take a look at: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1489&highlight=backup+howto
(I recommend you read the entire thread before trying to install :))

I was looking at how a different control panel does it. The other control panel uses a perl script to perform the backup. Every night it runs a script to update the control panel. Inside that script it will initiate the backup process. Once it's all complete it emails you the results.

So it does use a script and a crontab. However it also neatly ties it into the control panel itself. Which is a good way to do it.

Last edited:
Hello,

Perhaps you havn't seen the new backup feature (still has a few bugs) ..but you can create a cron job with ftp backups.

Reseller Panel -> Manage User Backups

The crons will created under the "diradmin" user, and they add a request for backup to the task queue. Results are sent to the message system and email out.

John

actuall backup is great... but it lacks the functionality to do a backup of the resellers.. from the admin CP.

Hello,

Correct, we havn't done the Reseller Part yet. We're implementing/releasing it in phases, making sure each bit works as we go along. After that will come the full server backup. :)

John

Back