Directadmin on Debian, any special differences?

albatroz

Verified User
I would like to hear comments of people using DA on Debian.....
Are there any special problems or complexities that appear using it,
instead of CentOS/Redhat Linux?

Recently ordered a CentOS VPS, that don't use too much, and having noticed
that some extra software I would like to install there is easier to install on Debian, I was thinking of a change .

I have been running DirectAdmin on my Debian 4.0. (Etch) server for over 6 months now and I have not had a single problem - works like a charm!

I simply do an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' to keep my system up-to-date with security patches, and it has not affected the functionality of my DirectAdmin.

So in a nutshell, it works fine!

Notes:

When you install Debian, make sure you ONLY do a base/simple install. Do not install any other software from the Debian repository (such as Apache, ProFTP, etc.) because DirectAdmin will take care of that for you.

The only thing I installed from the Debian software repository was: build-essentials (apt-get install build-essentials) because it installs all the necessary tools to compile DirectAdmin, such as gcc, make, g++, etc.

It's funny that you mention that you would like to move to Debian, because I'd like to try CentOS myself to see what all the fuss is about. I know many people that use CentOS and they say it works well too.

Have fun :)

Yeah debian has worked fine for me as well for a long time now, almost a year.. Its fast, secure and stable.

The fact is that I would like to install RED5 or something that would allow me to stream FLV files easily.
I noticed that it is easier to find RED5 installation instructions for Debian.
Also RED5 installation is easier if I use Debian, so that was the reason I was thinking of moving to Debian.

How did u guys upgrade mysql from 4.1 to 5.0?
Im having debian etch.

How did u guys upgrade mysql from 4.1 to 5.0?
Im having debian etch.

just change it in the options.conf file from directadmin and rebuild mysql.
This worked perfect and without any problems (altough, i have rebuilt everything, cause i changed some other stuff too)

Sorry i am na newbe

just change it in the options.conf file (where is this conf file ?) from directadmin and rebuild mysql (how to do this ?).
This worked perfect and without any problems (altough, i have rebuilt everything, cause i changed some other stuff too)

Sorry i am na newbe

just change it in the options.conf file (where is this conf file ?) from directadmin and rebuild mysql (how to do this ?).

options.conf is right in the folder /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild

To build mysql do this:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build mysql d

I do not understant this

in direct admin i read: MySQL 4.1.10 Running

and in the options.conf (/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf)

#PHP settings. default_php possible values - 4 or 5
default_php=5
php4_cli=no
php4_cgi=no
php5_cli=yes
php5_cgi=no
zend=no

#Possible values - 4.1, 5.0 or 5.1
mysql=5.0
mysql_inst=no
mysql_backup=no

#Possible values - 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2