Backup of actual mail data...

Andrax

Verified User
At some level, it would be lovely to be able to backup email data that is on the server.

Either at the ADMIN level, or Userlevel. I understand the issue about sensative information and admin having access and all, but if you really think abou it, the server admin or reseller could login to their CP as them, change their email password and look at all their email anyway.

But I know that many of my users/customers would be enthralled with the idea that their backup would include all their email messages.

I would like to see this feature also.
Backup all user emails is really very important.

Regards

Well if you are going to do that setup Squirrelmail so that we have 2 folders. One /data for the users data and one /att for all the attachments. I don't think anyone will care about the attachments those need to be cleaned out once and a while.

I guess you could change that folder to /var/att and that could be cleaned once and a while.

People need to be responsible for their own attachments.

If you want to just start clearing our your users' attachments, then you're no better than hotmail. No, actually you're worse, because hotmail won't delete any emails you've already received unless they completely remove your account for inactivity.

Be sure to let your clients know about us as they leave you :rolleyes: .

I think DA got off to a wrong start with how mail quotas were handled; what I'd like to see is all email folders (whether IMAP or POP3, or webmail) in the same place, and all under the same quota system.

Jeff

Jeff chill :D,

I don't think you understand how SquirrelMail works or what I was saying...

Squirrelmail should have 2 dir's. One for the preferences and another for attachments. What the SM team did a while ago is default the attachment directory to the data directory. So default installs upload attachments to the data folder. Thats never a good thing and is a security risk.

You don't need those attachments after they have been sent so you should once and while clean out the attachment directory. Look though the SquirrelMail WiKi they have some script or command they recommend.

I'm presuming that by attachments you mean file attachments to emails. Is that correct?

Why would you want to clean those out from time to time? Can't the end-user, reading the mailbox, decide to leave them there?

I can understanding deleting them when the email itself is deleted, but I can't understand wanting to delete them arbitrarily.

Please explain :) .

Jeff

The attachment directory is the directory where when you use SquirrelMail and send a email with a attachment it is uploaded before it is processed by your MTA. It is just holds those attachments and at some point you need to clear out that folder. It does not affect the users email because mail is stored in the spool.

For security reasons the attachment directory should be owned by nobody and moved somewhere on the server that is not accessable via your webserver.

The only problem with removing everything from the attachments folder is if someone is in the middle of sending a email it will not send the attachment. I guess one could write a shell script to stop IMAP, delete the data, restart IMAP so that you know no-one is using SquirrelMail at that moment.

existenz said:
The attachment directory is the directory where when you use SquirrelMail and send a email with a attachment it is uploaded before it is processed by your MTA.
Now I understand.
The only problem with removing everything from the attachments folder is if someone is in the middle of sending a email it will not send the attachment. I guess one could write a shell script to stop IMAP, delete the data, restart IMAP so that you know no-one is using SquirrelMail at that moment.
Or by writing a script that will delete the files by date, set for a date, for example, one week to one day earlier than the current date.

Jeff

Back