Question about the 2 Maildir's

evil_smurf

Verified User
On the box there is a /home/username/Maildir, and also a /home/username/imap/domain.com/Maildir.

What exactly is the /home/username/Maildir used for? I *thought* it was used for pop only (since there's an imap folder for the second Maildir) but that doesn't make any technical sense.

Maildir - actual user on the system

imap/domain.com/Maildir - virtual users you've created

I believe that's the difference, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess my question then is, if a customer has multiple domains in their account, is the /home/username/Maildir automatically shared between all of the accounts for their default email?

For example, username = bob, domain = bobsdomain.com, the default email would end up being [email protected]

if bob adds fredsdomain.com to their account as well, they would now have a [email protected] default address for that account too. Does all of that go to the one Maildir?

Yes. You only have one main username for your account no matter how many domains.

Jeff

Interestingly, I had a customer contact me about this just today.

He has multiple domains, but would like each of his accounts /domain in a separate mailbox.

Anyone done the work and know what's involved?

I imagine his 'main' domain would stay with the existing 'unix' user Maildir and all others would go off to virtual accounts.

I thought it's worth asking before I chase my own tail if someone's already done the leg work.

I have setup similar before mattb.

user @ domain1 and domain2 for example

I setup

user1 and user1 virtual mail boxes (coulda just used one but it was easier to have it standerdised)

I then setup a forwarder so that

user@domain1 was forwarded to user1@domain1

and

user@domain2 was forwarded to user2@domain2

User logs on with user1@domain and user2@domain (same format so easier for them) and works a treat.. havent tried it in a little while but cant see a problem with it.

Back