mail wont receive

Tim

Verified User
I've got a problem since i upgraded to v1.21.2 (FreeBSD4.9)

the mail for the mainuser (user) doesn't receive
when i add a pop user ([email protected]) it works

Can someone tell me what's wrong?

exim log:

[email protected]_domain.tld <[email protected]> R=lookuphost defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host

Last edited:
Make sure you dont have the systems hostname as an account in DA... if you want emails @your.hostname.com set them up as aliases using

/etc/aliases

Chris

read the message again...that isn't the problem.

the problem is that users don't receive any e-mail anymore, only new created pop3 users.

i sended a mail to: [email protected] and then i got that log in exim

Last edited:
I read it clearly and assumed the hostname may have been the problem due to it being in your error log...

Can you recieve mail from external servers (hotmail as an example..)

Can you recieve email from other domains / email accounts on the server?

Chris

Sounds to me like the hostname, or the domain you're sending to (probably the hostname) isn't in the /etc/virtual/domains file. Exim went to send out the email, but it just sent it to itself, so it got confused.

Make sure:
1) the hostname is in the /etc/virtual/domains file
2) the hostname is *not* in the /etc/virtual/domainowners file
3) the directory /etc/virtual/server.hostname.com exists, but it is empty.
4) the hostname resolves.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Make sure:
1) the hostname is in the /etc/virtual/domains file
yes

2) the hostname is *not* in the /etc/virtual/domainowners file
no

3) the directory /etc/virtual/server.hostname.com exists, but it is empty.
yes

4) the hostname resolves.
yes

it has been working, but after updating it 'crashes'

So what exactly is crashing? exim? .. DA doesn't touch anything but the /etc/virtual/* files for exim. We havn't change any thing in the exim.conf for quite a while now. (several months).

Perhaps just clarify what you mean by "crashing" and let us know what's showing up in the logs when this happens.

John

As you might imagine, John, I've gotten quite good at exim.conf over the past few months; if anyone is having problems where they believe exim.conf is causing a crash I'll be happy to test their file for them.

Folks: DO NOT POST IT HERE.

Send it to me by email if you want me to test it.

You do NOT have to send me any other files; just the exim.conf file.

I'll test it as soon as I can; usually within two days or so.

Jeff

I don't no what's wrong but I can't still send e-mail to:

username (The user i've created in DA) @domain.tld

every extra pop3 user works.

How can i fix this?

Tim,

I've read the entire thread over and over again, and I'm still not sure of your problem.

When you send an email to [email protected] (where user is the domain user, and NOT a separately setup email user), do you get any error messages? Does the mail come back to you?

Do you have a forward set up for the user so the mail goes elsewhere?

How do you check to see if the mail has been received?

Do you log in through a mail client? Or check with webmail?

What do you use as your login name? Do you use user or do you use [email protected]?

Do you get a password failure? Do you get any email at all at this username?

When you check with webmail can you log in?

Jeff

jlasman said:
Tim,

I've read the entire thread over and over again, and I'm still not sure of your problem.

When you send an email to [email protected] (where user is the domain user, and NOT a separately setup email user), do you get any error messages? Does the mail come back to you?
No errors, but after 4 days:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
delivery cancelled; message timed out

Do you have a forward set up for the user so the mail goes elsewhere?
no

How do you check to see if the mail has been received?
I tried with outlook & webmail

Do you log in through a mail client? Or check with webmail?
both

What do you use as your login name? Do you use user or do you use [email protected]?
[email protected] doesnt work to login, only user

Do you get a password failure? Do you get any email at all at this username?no errors, just NO mail. ONLY when i create a extra POP3 user, than it works...but _NOT_ for the Direct Admin [email protected]

When you check with webmail can you log in?
yes

Jeff

Tim said:
No errors, but after 4 days:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
delivery cancelled; message timed out
Now we're getting somewhere.
You're server is returning a temporary failure.

Because your client isn't getting the entire message back to you I can't diagnose further.

Please send me the email address that's failing (in an email; NOT a private message and NOT posted here) and I'll try it and check my logs to see what the temporary error message is.

Knowing that could help me diagnose the problem.

Note that I'm not affiliated with DA in any way (except that I'm a user and rent and sell systems powered by DA), so the scope of free support I can give is limited.

But I'll do my best.

Jeff

Yes, I've already asked you to do that.

Send it to me via email as I won't be looking at this thread again for at least 24 hours.

Jeff

I have a similary problem as Tim describes. Mail send to [email protected] disappears from the server, when adding a second POP box, I can receive the mail with no problems.

Did you find the solution for the problem? Maybe you can post the answer here, so more people can use it in the future!

/etc/virtual/domains

in that file i added servername.domein.tld (andromedia.ict-trend.nl)

that was all

da1.ns-one.net was already in our /etc/virtual/domains file. Did you rename your server after you installed DA? If so that would be a reason why it wouldn't be.

Jeff

I followed your steps, but couldn't find the solution.

The server hostname is in the /etc/virtual/domains file. I did change the hostname, but I restored every thing.

Do you have more possible problems?

In the message log, exim says for example:

2004-04-21 16:32:32 postmaster@hostname R=lookuphost defer (-1): remote host address is the local host
*** Frozen

I don't have any more answers without logging into the system.

If I were you, I'd get in touch with DA support and see if they have an answer.

Jeff

Back