Dir permissions, passw protection & ess6 uptime script

gerhard

Verified User
Hi there ;-).

After waiting more than 1 week after the Admins support team, I ran out of patience so came here to post my enquiries...

1. How can I set up the permissions to a directory so that it is browseable?
I tried changing it with chmod to 741 (drwxr-x--x) but 755 (drwxr-xr-x) should also do it.

2. I wanted to password protect a directory, yet I received the following error:

"An error occured while attempting to protect the directory
Details
Unable to read the protected directories list file"

3. I don't know whether this enquiry should come here but I will try pushing it a bit :).
Is there any chance of getting hold of the script that displays the server uptime on ess6?

The account I am on about is res01293.

Cheers, Gerhard.

gerhard said:

1. How can I set up the permissions to a directory so that it is browseable?
I tried changing it with chmod to 741 (drwxr-x--x) but 755 (drwxr-xr-x) should also do it.

2. I wanted to password protect a directory, yet I received the following error:

"An error occured while attempting to protect the directory
Details
Unable to read the protected directories list file"

3. I don't know whether this enquiry should come here but I will try pushing it a bit :).
Is there any chance of getting hold of the script that displays the server uptime on ess6?

Directories need to be read by everyone and writable by the owner so atleast you need to set it for 644. Now for the cgi-bin it needs to be 755.

I am not sure about your second question. I have never see that error before.

What is ess6? Here is a server stats script you can download http://www.wlscripting.com/?page=more_info&script_id=4

Re: Re: Dir permissions, passw protection & ess6 uptime script

existenz said:
Directories need to be read by everyone and writable by the owner so atleast you need to set it for 644. Now for the cgi-bin it needs to be 755.
All directories need to be 755; if directories are not executable, then the user can't enter them.

Jeff

I recently bumped to same problem.
It seems that you have to enable the indexes in the domain conf files (check httpd.conf, in end of it you see from where they are included).
Change the -indexes to +indexes (in options) for every domain and subdomain you want to.
I just posted a topic about this, and asked can they be set on by default (everytime you add new domain/subdomain it seems to reset them back to -indexes for all domains).
I am pretty sure that you can also override that setting with .htaccess.

Thank you

Thank you all for replying to my thread :).

1. Even if I change the permissions of a directory to 777, it still won't let me browse it. I guess it's something set from another level to which I don't have access...

2. httpd.conf... that's Apache's conf file to which I don't have access...

3. The server uptime script helped me big time. Thanks a lot existenz ;).

To be honest with you, I am sick and tired with the company that hosts my web site and my clients' websites.

As of now, I am looking for someone else that is willing to provide a good quality reseller account (for the beginning). I want decent reply times as what support is concerned (not weeks!!!) and people that know what they are doing. And yes, Direct Admin interface :D.

The clients for which I web design and web develop tend to go for web hosting as well. I have only a couple of clients now, but with time they will build up.

All offers will be appreciated. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

Cheers, Gerhard.;

Ok, here's a way how to do it if you don't have access to Apache's config file:
Make .htaccess file (or edit your current one), and add this line:
Options +Indexes
And put the .htaccess to the dir you want to allow the indexing for (also affects to all subdirs, except if they have own htaccess files with indexing disabled).
Also, make sure that the directory has right permissions ('r' (or 4 if octals)).

Back