as per subject.

say, that user require that all email coming
to sales staff have to be sent also (cc) to
the sales manager.

how to do it, please ?

thank you,

<domu>

Hello,

Forwarders gives your pretty much direct access to your alias file. It does a lot of form checking so only:

[email protected]
[email protected],[email protected]
etc etc....

will be allowed.

More than one emails must be comma separated with *no* spaces.

So if you want to have an incoming email go to 2 people, you add both of their email addresses as forwarding addresses.

The forwarder would be called "[email protected]", so you would have to create 2 seperate accounts (not called sales) to actually receive the mail, or else you'd get an ifinite loop (although exim is smart and will notice loops... )

John

just what i've been missing from help.
will give it a try right away.

thanx,

<domu>

if i got that right, solution you have
presented have one major drawback:

there is no way that user can have same
mail account name as advertised email
address.

for example, let's say we have user

[email protected]

and we want this account aliased, so every
mail sent to [email protected] will go to
[email protected] and cc to [email protected]

_and_ we do not want to keep explaining
to every single user that their email address
is "[email protected]" but in email
account settings there should be
"[email protected]"

please stright me up if i got that wrong,
you can not do that in DirectAdmin, can you ?

<domu>

Hello,

I'm changing the code right now so that you can have a forwarder and a pop account exist with the same name. I'm also adding the ability to have auto-replies and pop accounts with the same name.

This should let you make a cc quite easily. Just add the forwarder and have a pop account with the same name. (I'm changing the code so that my statements above will no longer be required)

Available for the next release (a few days)

John

Well, this is certainly more than I have expected.
I am looking forward to it. Thank you for your efforts.

<domu>

Lets say you set up user: [email protected] then you wanted siteadmin to be forwarded, but you never actually want to pick up that email from the siteadmin account, would it just sit there and fill up the mailbox?

The way the aliases are checked, yes you would get a copy of it in your account for virtual pops. For the system account... I've just tested it and didn't get 2 copies of the email.. so looks like you don't get duplicates for the system accounts.

John

hmmm, so anyway around that? Can you have emails delete after forward or have the email account just trash the emails. The only way this is a problem is for the main account though that is made when making the new Site/account/user because other virtual accounts you can just delete or not make.

But if i make a new site/user with name prophecy for example, then i want emails to [email protected] to be forwarded, this causes a problem.

You could probably set the virtual_aliases_nostar directive to "seen" by commenting out the "unseen" line.... However, this may cause other things to break... not quite sure what at the momment.

John

Keeping documentation up to date

My web host - DixieSys - is giving DirectAdmin a shot to replace Ensim. Seems Ensim's pricing is getting a bit rich these days.

At first, I didn't think I could shift, because I use email aliases and use the same name for the alias and POP3 account.

Your documentation (http://www.site-helper.com/email.html#forwarders) says:
Note: You cannot create a forwarder name if it already exists as a POP3 account, autoresponder, or mailing list.

A search of the forums (http://www.directadmin.com/forum/) for "alias" yielded a thread entittled "how 2 create email aliases":
Forwarders gives your pretty much direct access to your alias file. It does a lot of form checking so only:

[email protected]
[email protected],[email protected]
etc etc....

will be allowed.

More than one emails must be comma separated with *no* spaces.

So if you want to have an incoming email go to 2 people, you add both of their email addresses as forwarding addresses.

Also

Hello,

I'm changing the code right now so that you can have a forwarder and a pop account exist with the same name. I'm also adding the ability to have auto-replies and pop accounts with the same name.

This should let you make a cc quite easily. Just add the forwarder and have a pop account with the same name. (I'm changing the code so that my statements above will no longer be required)

John

I think your documentation needs some updating.
It sould be corrected to say identical POP3 and forwarder names are allowed.
It should also describe forwarding to multiple addresses.

I guess you may need to go either to separate documentation based on the version or else start adding something like "Feature xyz added / changed as of Version nnn".

autoresponder and pop account with the same address

Dear Friend,

My first languange is not English that's why the "I'm on vacation" subject its not good for me.
Could you please change the code to allow me to have a autoresponder and pop account with the same name?

Thanks

Mistika

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

John
:) :)

Hello,

If you edit:
/etc/exim.conf

you can find the text that says "I'm on vacation" and change it to whatever you need.

John

From DirectAdmin Support:
"Forwarders gives your pretty much direct access to your alias file."

My Question:
I have looked on my server for a file named "alias" and I cannot find any. Where is this alias file that DirectAdmin accesses when I add Forwarders? Is there one file that is used for all users, or does each user have their own alias file? If possible, I would like to modify this file by hand initially in order to import all of my old forwards from an old account which did not use DirectAdmin but used a text file to list forwards. Putting all of them in using the DirectAdmin GUI would take me all day.

Thanks for your help,
Kurt

Last edited:
Hello,

it's actually called the "aliases" file..

/etc/virtual/domain.com/aliases

There is one aliases file per domain. Each domain also has a passwd file:

/etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd

which is used to keep track of pop/imap accounts.

John

Back