web only account

heininger

Hi,

I would like to setup a user that has only web but no mail service. The mailserver is directly at the users office. Is it enough to set the MX correctly or do I also have to modify the exim configuration?

TIA,
Mike

Yes and no :) .

You cannot have two servers answering for one fully qualified domain name.

Presuming the website is at www.example.com and they want to get email at [email protected], their system at their office cannot be responding for example.com and your DA server cannot be responding for mail.example.com.

So let's presume their server responds as mail.example.com...

Who is authoritative for DNS for their domain? Do they, or their ISP? If you're not authoritative for DNS for their domain, then you should probably not have DNS records on your DA server for the domain at all.

Whover is authoritative for DNS for their domain should have an A record for example.com pointing to your server, an A record for www.example.com pointing to your server or a CNAME record for www.example.com pointing to example.com, and an MX record for example.com pointing to mail.example.com (it appears that you can do all this through the DA control panel should you be authoritative for DNS for the domain).

The one last step, which must be taken whether or not you're authoritative for DNS for the domain, is that you need to make sure the domain name is NOT in the file /etc/virtual/domains. This change must, if required, be made by the server administrator, using root shell access.

If this last step isn't taken, then mail created on the server (for example, administration messages, or mail from someone using the server for outgoing smtp, or mail from forms on the domain website) will not make it to the real domain mailserver.

Jeff

The dns for the domain will be managed with da.
The mailserver has the fqdn mail.domain.com

So I will add the MX entry for mail.domain.com and edit /etc/virtual/domains.

Do I have to reedit /etc/virtual/domains after future da updates?

TIA,
Mike

heininger said:
Do I have to reedit /etc/virtual/domains after future da updates?
You shouldn't have it; it looks to me as if DA adds them then forgets about them.

But a definitive answer would have to come from DA support.

If DA updates / rewrites, or changing data for the domain will add such domains back, then it's possible to write a specific exclude in the exim.conf file, but you'd have to read the latest exim book (the one for Exim 4; the O'Reilly book is for Exim 3) and figure that one out yourself :) .

Jeff

jlasman said:
You shouldn't have it; it looks to me as if DA adds them then forgets about them.

But a definitive answer would have to come from DA support.

Thanks for your help!
I will remove the line and check after the next update (unless we hear an answer from DA support).

Mike

Hello,

The same thing can be accomplished by going to User Panel -> MX Records and unchecking "Local Mailserver" .. so just uncheck that so that the domain is removed from the /etc/virtual/domains file. This forces exim to do an MX lookup (make sure you change the local record too) and will then send the mail off the server.

DA will not add/remove the domain from the /etc/virtual/domains file during updates. Updates are very simple, and gernally only extract the binaries and new skins, then run whatever is in the /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/update.sh file (usually very minor changes, if any)

John

Thanks, John.

All this time and I never even noticed that page :( .

Jeff

Back