Zombie process - DA?

thoroughfare

Verified User
Hi,

Occasionally when I run top it shows the line:

PHP:
25647 root       8   0     0    0     0 Z     0.0  0.0   0:00   0 service <defunct>

Is that a part of DA? Any know what it belongs to?

Thanks,
Matt :)

Service is the program used to restart services... ie:

serivce httpd restart

It's possible that DA isn't picking up the quit service program, but I'd have to double check that in the code. Try restarting DA to get rid of the zombie. If it never picked it up, then you'd have many, many zombies on your server, so it may be related to the service it's restarting/reloading/stopping or starting.

John

Hi,

Restarting DA had no effect. 'service' brings up a file/command not found message... I don't think the paths are set up for it..?

Thanks,
Matt :)

Well, I ran 'export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin', and service worked fine. I've still got the zombie process though and I can't kill it without rebooting.

Matt

if you hit "c" in top.. it should give you the command line that was provided (i think, unless the dead process lost all it's info) .. if we can figure out what it's used for, it may help in finding the cause.

John

Sorry, it still just shows:

PHP:
 7336 root       8   0     0    0     0 Z     0.0  0.0   0:00   0 service <defunct>

'c' works for all the other processes, but not this one. Hmmm.

Matt

If DA did start it up, then there might be something in the /var/log/directadmin/errortaskq.log .. But.. if the process never returned, then dataskq would still be waiting for it to finish, so might not be the dataskq, not too sure.

John

Back