Editing DNS Zone

chris68

Verified User
First of all, not sure who installed the directadmin today, but thanks for such a fast install!

Okay, need to make sure I do this right. Don't need any downtime. Need to edit dns zone properly. Moving from cpanel to directadmin. I currently have ns1, ns2, ns5, and ns6 of my domain on two other servers outside of the directadmin server. NS3 and NS4 are on the MAIN server that has directadmin installed. I believe these are correct, just need some outside verification before making the big dns change.

I want to make sure that the dns forwards to the proper server once I submit the changes to ns3 and ns4 to the registrar.

In:
admin/home/webhostnow.com/dns settings

I have the following settings. The order and saturn are the hostnames of the two other servers.
All Type A
  • ns1 216.67.225.194
  • ns2 66.246.110.163
  • ns3 216.67.225.194 Main server with direct admin
  • ns4 216.22.0.247 Main server with direct admin
  • ns5 216.22.0.248
  • ns6 208.185.248.136
  • order 216.67.225.194
  • www.order 216.67.225.194
  • www.saturn 208.185.248.135
  • saturn 208.185.248.135
Everything look kosher here, and these settings will ensure that once I submit the new ip changes to the registrar for ns3 and ns4, that ns1, 2, 5, and 6 will work properly?

Thanks!

Well, I don't think this will work, just found some threads dealing with this subject :confused: Sorry for wasting a thread, figures I would find it after posting. Can we do this manually without DA overwriting anything?

Thanks

if your main domain (used for the nameservers and hostname) is external from the DA box just setup as normal but instaed of having the domain on the da box, just add the A records whever the main domain is for the IP addys:

ns3.domain.com A 216.67.225.194
ns4.domain.com A 216.22.0.247

also, get a test domain and move that before moving anything important just to confirm its all ok, if you move all your sites to dns that isnt crrect you have downtime until thats sorted (which can be more than a pain!).

Chris

chris68 said:
]Well, I don't think this will work, just found some threads dealing with this subject :confused: Sorry for wasting a thread, figures I would find it after posting. Can we do this manually without DA overwriting anything?
I'd like to understand what you're trying to do a bit better.

Are you trying to add NS records through the DA control panel interface that will point to another service?

I believe it works properly. You can test by trying it and then looking at the zone file in /var/named.

Are you trying to add A records through the DA control panel for nameservers hosted elsewhere? I know this works properly.

Are you trying to add records manually and not have them overwritten by DA? This has always worked properly for me.

Jeff

Thanks Chris and Jeff,

Yea, I confuse myself sometimes, and seem to be overcomplicating this :D

Basically Jeff, yes, that is correct. Adding A records in directadmin to the ns1, ns2, ns5, and ns6 nameservers that are on the two other servers with hostnames of order and saturn. They are setup as slave servers.

Wanted to see if the settings I posted above look to be correct to accomplish this before making the big change.

which can be more than a pain
Yes, and one which I want to avoid at ALL costs :)

As long as you're just adding A records I don't see a problem.

Of course domains need to have nameserver (NS) records added as well, to point to the nameservers they need for resolution, so you'll need an NS record for each nameserver you've listed with your registrar as authoritative for the domain.

If you'd care to you can send me your zone file (via email, not here or by Private Message) and I'll take a look at it, but I'll be out most of the rest of today.

If you do decide to send me your zone file do NOT obfuscate it in any way, or I can't help you with it.

Jeff

Thanks a lot. You guys are a great help!

I added the A records and changed the ip addresses for the nameservers at the registrar. Now it's just a waiting game to see what happens at crunch time :)

Chris

Just an update. Everything seems to be fine. All nameservers on all servers seem to be kicking.

Thanks again
Chris

Back