Do you like the new public_html link setup, or do you want the old method back?

What default do you want the ~/public_html link to be?

• A directory with domain links inside, as it currently is

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • A link to the default domain's public_html

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We've been getting several questions about the new way of setting up ~/public_html as a directory with domain links, instead of a link to the default domain.

I'm going to leave the option present in any case, but I'm creating a poll to see if you want the default to go back to the original single link method instead of the directory method.

For anyone who doesn't know why we changed the default, it's so that users can access multiple domains when using http://1.2.3.4/~username/domain.com
The /~username path is the *only* reason that /home/user/public_html exists, but many users seem to think it's the main public_html path, when it's really /home/user/domains/domain.com/public_html, which is why it's causing confusion, and why I'm creating the poll.

Feature link: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=855

John

i don't use this feature, it can have some security problem because open_basedir won't work anymore. i think we should have option to disable it.

I like it because it also keeps people from uploading to the wrong website and destroying it.

Personally I don't use the ~username method. I use http://1.2.3.4/domain.com.

My Customers reactions

My customers, as well as I, felt blind-sided. I moved to a new provider and found that my FTP program wasn't working....and soon after the customers started asking questions.

I contacted my provider, who explained the correct settings...and I passed on the information to my customers.

So, after all of that, I discover that none of the changes needed to be made if the system would have been configured to work as older versions of DA worked.

I suspect that one needs to be able to configure DA for either method...I certainly don't want to re-educate the customers again.

It appears that the method of allowing one to have multiple domains administered by a user is a boon to the technical savy customers....while the folks who are not geeks exhibit the "Deer Caught In The Headlights" look when you attempt to exlain to them how to configure their FTP clients with the new and improved, longer and more confusing path.

There was no change for my customer because I had always told them to use /domains/domainname/public_html. I have never had a customer who only had one domain so that is the way they would had to do it from there first day.

I did however have some that saw the public_html link in /domains and took upon themselves to upload to that folder and destroy an existing web site. In tutorials they are often told to upload there site to public_html. That is fine if you only have one site. With the new way it is impossible for them to unknowingly upload to the wrong domain. It is much safer.

The only change for me was that now there is less confusion for my customers who were confused by the public_html link.

Because uploading to the wrong domain was such a problem what I eventually had to do was, using one of the custom script, delete the public_html link every time a new domain was added. In the same script I added a link in /var/www/html to the domain so that they could see there domain before changing dns using http://1.2.3.4/domain.com

So in the end it really doesn't matter to me. Everybody already has the ability to do it either way. I believe the old way may be a little simpler but if a customer has more than one domain it is far more dangerous.

i changed back to the old method..

I personally like it very much.. why multiple domains to show?
Domains are registered usually up in 2 hours MAX, and when a new customer orders multiple domains, they usually order the same domain/website with multple TLD's.. So showing them apart is no profit. here..

Also explaining ftp to the customer is easier.. Login -> double click public_html and tada..

But for the people who like it, no problemo! as long as DA leaves the old option in it :)

they usually order the same domain/website with multple TLD's.

Not mine.

Then sale the customer multiple webhosting accounts

Multiple domain hosting under one web hosting account has been around for at least 8 years. This is not a new thing. Most hosting companies offer it for less than $10 per month now.

Sure ofcourse! i do also! Mine can add 25 domains if they want..

But if i can i sale more accounts for one customer..
Why add 4 websites under one account if you can make money 4 times.

Have to say this only happens with end-user customers.. The geeks/smart people already know what the hosting has to offer and make use of it..

Okay, please try and bear with me because I'm a total n00b and am still learning more and more daily about DirectAdmin and its features.

This feature you are proposing is similar to how cPanel sets up domains right?
Domains that aren't propogated to the correct IP can be accessed, by what you're saying, at:

IP.Address.Here/~directadmin_username/domain.com

?

If so, I do like that better...reason is because it has the unique username in there instead of a "domains".

But why would that be public_html directory? I can see a site being able to be accessed via that URL...but that shouldn't be the public_html directory to upload files should it, the root folder? The root folder should be:

IP.Address.Here/~username/domain.com/public_html

...should it not?

The root folder should be:

IP.Address.Here/~username/domain.com/public_html

...should it not?
No, public_html means files for apache to use.. and since apache is the one actually reading the files, we would assume going to be used anyway, so it's not needed, it would be redundant. The path to upload files, and the path to view them are going to be different.

In any case, I'll likely keep the default as it is for now, where it's:

IP/~user/domain.com

This may change if the argument becomes really one sided, but it's currently split. Also, this is an option, so you can flip it to the old method if you want.

John

Me, myself, I like the old method better. Older users of Directadmin are used to this, and confusing them will just push them to another panel.

PHP Uploads now fail

Posted message in discussion form;

Essentially - files in the new folder structure that use a PHP upload report an error - can't find temporary folder. The error refers to PHPs temp folder ie the folder where it places files before they are moved/processed etc to their final destination folder.

my server provider (I'm a reseller) says that's the way it is now!

I will have to find another provider - as the PHP upload is a major part of every dynamic site I build - been using it for years.

tested the upload scripts (more than one) on my own local server - fine
tested the upload scripts on my remote server - old folder structure - fine
tested the upload scripts on my remote server - new folder structure - running from ip/~username - OK except the images need to be defined with an absolute server path ip/~username/folder forimages

now anyone can get the username of the client just by looking at the images
BAD!

tested the upload scripts (more than one) on my remote server - new folder structure - running from www/domainname/ - same error
WORSE!

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people soon discover DA has a problem with this

appreciate any help

Paul

Hello DA,

First off, thanks for asking our opinion on this.

I think it's a good aproach to fix the "only one domain can be set as default" problem, but I would only change one thing (which I agree is not a simple thing to change)

As I posted on the other thread related to this one, I think the best solution is to rename the public_html folder (the one that contains de symbolic links) to "shortcuts" or "links" or anything different than public_html, just so everything is as clear as possible.

How apache can make this happen internally or if it's even possible ?

I have no idea.

If this is not possible, I am ok with the change. It does solve a problem, and we will just have to get used to it.

Cheers

we moved some domains with joomla/mambo from cpanel and all of them become unaccesible because ther config require /home/username/public_html and we have to reconfig all of them

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people soon discover DA has a problem with this

No its your script that is misconfigured. My php uploads work just fine.

What A Nightmare

For me, I think this update has been a complete nightmare! :eek:

My customers are installing files into the wrong directory ALL the time. (I think this has to do with the "default setup page" saying that they need to upload their pages to the "/public_html/" folder, not the new one). :confused:

Anyway! I wish it was back to the old way because I am now finding that clients consistently upload to the incorrect directory, and then delete the directory completelty :eek:

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK... PLEEEEEASE

Cheers
Rookie

Back