Hello with LAN

nanyo

Verified User
i am PLANING to buy a server install freeBSD and use DirectAdmin for my users but the one problem is that my connection to internet is a plain Broadband connection that i want to use for now but later makbe something as a T1 and I was wondering if I can use that for DirectAdmin CP on my server? :rolleyes:

I believe you're going to need a static IP address. But besides that, it should work fine.

l0rdphi1 said:
I believe you're going to need a static IP address. But besides that, it should work fine.

I am really confused i am kinda a newbie but what exactly is a static IP address?:confused:

nanyo said:
I am really confused i am kinda a newbie but what exactly is a static IP address?:confused:
I dont think you should get into direct admin if you dont have any networking knowledge.

A dynamic IP changes, a static is always the same. Most isps give you a dynamic.
Direct admin checks its license at startup with the server, and the license is bound to the ip I believe. So if its not the same it wont start direct admin.

Most broadband isps prohibit running servers, and block port 80, so you would need to use a different port and wouldnt really be worth it since you would need to specify the port when accessing your website. You should probably just play around with linux and learn basic networking before considering it. It would probably be easier just to buy a hosting service instead of buying a server and direct admin just to run on a basic broadband connection. I dont know about your isp, but I would check if they allow servers and if they do/dont block port 80 before attempting. Most likely if its cable it wont be allowed, but they usualy dont check.

Ok thank u i will go out and learn some more and try to by a perament IP address and try yo learn alittle bit more about netowrking thanks nanyo:eek:

You'll need to let your ISP know you need a static-ip connection and you need to ask if their terms of service allow you to use a webserver.

In the meantime you can get a lot of experience by buying a reseller account and running DA as a reseller.

We and a lot of other people who post here sell reseller accounts; you might want to look at the "Hosts Using DirectAdmin" forum.

Jeff

Back