Outlook Settings Download (how to remove)

jsefton

Verified User
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how i can remove the options to download the outlook settings from my control panel.

If anyone is about to ask why i want to remove it, the answer is that it causes me more trouble than its worth.. read on if your interested.

why it bugs me:
- It enters information directly into the registry, overwriting anything that might already be there. ie.. if you download and install the settings for one email account and then do a second one, the second one overwrites the first one!!

- When you are downloading the registry file in the first place, you can't just use the 'open' option for some reason, you have to save the file to your computer and then double click on it. (if you use the open option, you get an error saying the file could not be opened..

- The contents of this file are not properly formatted (CR/LF stuff) for the microsoft operating system. (ie, when viewed in notepad, you see little squares where ever there should be a line break.. there are no line breaks where they should be.)

- when it does add your email account to outlook, it does not store your password properly and the save password option is always 'greyed out' so you have to remove the account and manually create it anyway.. defeats the object.

Im not expert on automatic setup scripts but im pretty sure its possible to create a .ins file that will insert all of these settings properly.

I have not used DA for very long and have not had time to look at the possibilities for adding in my own bits yet but if someone can give me a rough idea of how i can change that link, how i can get access to the DA database where the user/passwords are stored then i will happily go and figure out how to make a .ins file (or whatever it may be) work and look at writing a alternative to what is up there now. (which i will obviously post here for DA if they want it.)

Failing that, if someone can just tell me how to get rid of that 'Download' link so that i can stop people trying to use it, i will be a much happier person. (with a lot less support calls i hope.)

Thanks in advance..

- James

Thank-you m8,

Im very new to DA and im trying to move all my customers onto here in a bit of a hurry beacause the server they are currently on has a faulty hard disk so i have had no time to really look into it.. (and ive been hammered with calls from users that have tried to use it.)

- J

Hello,

The link can't be removed, but the value of the file can easily be changed.

Just copy the /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/outlook_setup.reg file to the ./custom directory (inside templates) and then it can be changed in any way needed (edit the custom one). I've just added the \r characters the ends of the line so they'll show up correctly for the next release.

John

Back