You cannot create a POP3 account if

trhhcllc

Hello

i was wondering if someone can explain to me why we can not do the following?

Note: You cannot create a POP3 account if the username is taken by an autoresponder, forwarder, or mailing list.

is it some sort of limitation with direct admin?

is it some sort of limitation with my host provider?

with other host providers that do not use DA , i was able to have a pop3, autoresponder and forwarder all with the same name

was also wondering what happens to any of the email that may have been sent to a pop3 address if a person had setup a pop3 and forwareder and autoresponder all with the same name , before they knew it would not work?

i think if it can not be changed then maybe there should be notes when a person tries to create any of the following pop3, autoresponder, forwarder or mailing list that you can not use the same name

thanks

todd

The errors basically saying you cant use 1 email for 2 things.

If you have your mailinhg list setup as:

[email protected]

then you cant have a standard pop account for:

[email protected]

###

If you are trying to create the email "[email protected]" ensure the following do NOT aready exist:

AutoResponders
Forwarders
Mailing lists
(as the error states..)

as a note, [email protected] may already be there...

Chris

pop3 forward autorespond

Hello

so i create a pop3 account like this

[email protected]

i then cannot create a fowarder for [email protected] to have it go to [email protected]

and or

i can not then create an autoreponder for [email protected]

i can understand the majordomo part of it, but the rest makes no sense.

i have one host provider that does NOT use DA and i can do what i am mentioning with them without any problem

thanks

todd

Hello,

What version of DirectAdmin are you using? There used to be checks which prevented overlap of pop accounts and forwarders. Those checks have long since been removed so that you can save an email and forward it from the same account.

If it's creating any error messages, please paste them here so we can determine the problem.

Mailing lists are always checked and are really the only email function that can't overlap with another email function.

John

no errors

DA version v1.21.2

I am not getting any error messages

here is what i did through da

i first went in and set up several domains

then i set up several pop3 email addresses on each domain

then i set up forwareds with the same name as the pop3 on each domain.

then i set up autoresponders with the same names as the pop3 and forwarders on each domain.

i did this so that if i wanted i could use the pop3 accounts. but more so that the accounts existed. but i wanted any eamil sent to the pop3 accounts fowared over to one account for me to check. the autoresponders were so that people were aware that i got the email and that it was forwarded on to the right party and could expect a response.

but what ended up happening was not much of any of what i setup was working. meaning i could send an email from my email client on my machine and it would say it sent succesfully. but i would get no auto response and nothing in the pop3 account that i sent it to

Problem

Hello

i am assuming that with the lack of response i have gotten since i first posted this. That the issue is just dead in the water.

i have one host that does NOT use DA and i can add a pop3 account with a username of test. i can also create a mailforard with the same username as well as an auto responder with the same username. that all tells me it is a DA problem rather than a host problem or an operating system problem.

i also talked with the host that does use DA and was informed that they were pretty sure it is a DA problem and that they either had or would shortly be in contact with DA and then get back to me. still have heard nothing from them and DA has not responded either.

ALL i would like to know is if it is a limitation of DA ? then if it is what if any work around is there until DA has changed it?

thanks
trhhcllc

Hello,

Thanks for the thread bump, sometimes they get missed :)

If you are able to set everything up through DA (no errors) then the exim.conf would need to be tweaked a little.

Whats probably happening right now is exim is finding the autoreply then stopping. What you'd need to do is add "unseen" to the "userautoreply:" section of the /etc/exim.conf, then restart exim. That will tell exim to ignore the fact that an autoresponder has been sent and to keep looking for another action to carry out.

John

Lost e-mail?

In the start of this thread the question was asked:

"was also wondering what happens to any of the email that may have been sent to a pop3 address if a person had setup a pop3 and forwareder and autoresponder all with the same name , before they knew it would not work?"

The answer was not given here yet!

One of my customers also created a forwarder and autoresponder with the same name and never get the original e-mail. Do we have to consider the mail as lost or is there a 'hidden' place we would find this 'lost' e-mail?

Hello,

If you add "unseen" as mention in the post right above yours, it should allow autoresponders to be unseen to let the email continue through the other email types.

John

Back