multi domains including multi hosting

bvvelzen

Verified User
We have a little problem with our hosting.

The function that 1 user can have many domains is a good one. But our problem is. When a user want's for example 2 domains that we cannot add 1 hosting package to each domain. This means that now our clients have multi domains that make
use of 1 hosting package.

We can solve this problem but that means that we need to make for every domain with ther own hosing we have to make different users. We want that each domain can have it's own hosting package.

We also don't want our clients to let them add there own domains, but we want to do that. So our client skin doesn't have that abbility. But then the problem is when admin want to add a domain to a user with already a domain he has to give the client another skin with the ability to add domains.

Is there a solution for that? Or will DA make something for that problems?

I'm still trying to understand your problem.

Are you an admin or a reseller?

Can you give me a real world example of what you want to do?

Jeff

Well, we are a hosting company with RH server and DA CP.

When a client want 2 domain's and behind those domain's also hosting that means that they want 2 hosting package's.

We can say, wel you already have bougth 1 hosting package, but we aren't a resort or something. So thay have to pay for 2 domain's and 2 time's hosting. But I think that's still not possible with DA? But wouldn't that be a nice extra fuction. To add hosting to domains and not to a user.

The second thing I really would like to change is the abbility to add domains to a user without loggin in as that user. This because when you give a user the abbility to add domain's, they will. And that can couse some trouble with the dns server. For example when somebody add's hotmail.com, nobody can mail to the real hotmail.com. Now at our hosting, a client doesn't hase te abbility to add domains. So if a client want to add a domain, we must first change skin from that client and then add it en change the skin back to the client's skin.

I'll hope you can understand it now, my motherlanguage is not english so.... old story :)

bvvelzen said:
Well, we are a hosting company with RH server and DA CP.
OK, then I'll presume you have full control over your server.
When a client want 2 domain's and behind those domain's also hosting that means that they want 2 hosting package's.
I'm still not sure what you mean when you say a "hosting package", so I'll use the terminology as used by DA.

A hosting package is a set of features a client can buy, used to host one or more domains.

For example, if we sell the "Gold Package" that allows one domain and five mailboxes, a client could buy that and host a domain and up to five mailboxes. Presuming we also sell a "Platinum Package" that allows up to three domains and 100 mailboxes, the client could also buy that.

A user can buy one instance each of multiple packages, or multiple instances of one package, or any combination inbetween.

Each instance of a package is defined in DA by a "user".

Though there's no limitations as to how many domains you can allow in a package, and therefore for a user, there are some reasons to not group them together like that, the most important being the issue of who has control over the mailboxes, the features, and the ftp uploads.

You may decide to offer only one domain in each package or more.

Your clients who have multiple domain names may decide to buy one package which allows multiple domains, or mutliple packages, or even a reseller account allowing them to define their own packages.
We can say, wel you already have bougth 1 hosting package, but we aren't a resort or something. So thay have to pay for 2 domain's and 2 time's hosting. But I think that's still not possible with DA?
Why not? You can sell them multiple packages, multiple instances of one package, or any combination (the above options all requiring separate usernames, all of which could certainly be owned by one company). Or you can sell them one instance of a package, or upgrade them to an instance of a package that allows multiple domain names. You have all the flexibility you want.
But wouldn't that be a nice extra fuction. To add hosting to domains and not to a user.
You can do that as well. But by definition a domain is one domain so you can't add another domain to it. However a user can add subdomains, and you can allow (in any given package) as many subdomains as you want.
The second thing I really would like to change is the abbility to add domains to a user without loggin in as that user.
I don't understand. You cannot add domains to a user without logging in as a user, and if you could, then anyone could add domains to your box and you'd have no control. So I don't know what you mean.
This because when you give a user the abbility to add domain's, they will.
I don't know about your clients. Our clients pay for the domains they use, and they tend to only add domains they need. But even companies I know that allow multiple domains don't see abuse in this area.
And that can couse some trouble with the dns server. For example when somebody add's hotmail.com, nobody can mail to the real hotmail.com.
Every server administration scheme has tradeoffs. Yes, if you end up with clients who commit DOS attacks against others using your server, you need to do something about that.

Here's how we address the issue:

1) We do NOT support our users using our SMTP server for outgoing email. We allow it, but we don't support it. Any problems our users have with sending outgoing email through our servers, and they're on their own.

2) We recommend to our clients that they always have and read at least one email box on our server, and that they point any and all forms on our server to addresses on our server. (Therefore we limit the problem you've mentioned to mailing list distribution.)

3) While I'd like the DA folk to implement one place inside the Control Panel interface where I could see all the domains, executing the following code, while logged to a shell, will show you all the domains with DNS on your system:

ls /var/named

You should check this list regularly for rogue domains.

And we should pressure DA to add code so that admins always get an email whenever a new domain, subdomain, or pointer is set up on the server.
Now at our hosting, a client doesn't hase te abbility to add domains. So if a client want to add a domain, we must first change skin from that client and then add it en change the skin back to the client's skin.
I don't see what it's got to do with skins. Both default skins suppled by DA allow multiple domains. If you're using your own skin, then of course you're responsible for maintaining it. If you've obtained a skin from a third-party vendor, then you should take up the issue with the vendor; you can't expect DA to be responsible for a what third-party vendor does.
I'll hope you can understand it now, my motherlanguage is not english so.... old story
I've tried to understand, to respond based on my understanding, and to ask questions where I'm not sure.

If you still need clarification, please write again.

Jeff

Back