Confused as ever - CustomBuild vs. CustomApache

sdible

Verified User
Ok, so I'm just as confused as ever on the whole CustomBuild vs. CustomApache.

The more I read here, the more confused I get. I've been through the CustomBuild FAQ, but it didn't really settle my nerves any.

It seems that they both do similar things. I can find instructions for updating my server using both methods. They both seem to be supported by DA. In the official DA documentation, I find links from CustomBuild instructions to CustomApache instructions and vice versa (I was researching upgrading to Dovecot). That simply made me more leary of using either method.

Could someone please chime in and help us understand the differences a bit better?

Here are some specific questions that have been on mind.

Why two different methods? It is confusing for me as a novice DA user to find instructions on the official DA documentation on two methods to do the same thing with no real explanation of the difference.

It seems that CustomBuild is the up and coming method (just my observation). Is it superior? Does DA plan on eventually phasing out CustomApache for CustomBuild?

Can the two methods safely be interchanged? I have updated PHP and Zend using CustomApache. I played around and installed RoundCube using CustomBuild. Am I asking for problems by using both methods? Is it better to use only one method for easier server admin?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using either CustomBuild or CustomApache?

I'm sure that I will have more questions as the discussion progresses.

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts, questions, and answers on the comparision.

Last edited:
Use custombuild eventually customapache will be no longer used.

Use custombuild eventually customapache will be no longer used.

Since I used CustomApache initially to update a couple of components...

Is it easy to switch? Do I just run CustomBuild, or will I then have conflicts? Do I need to do any cleanup of what has been done by CustomApache?

As you can tell... I'm sort of a novice. I know enough to get myself in to trouble...

:)

I used to use customapache only then moved to custombuild I had no problems. Custombuild was created to add support for suphp initially but now has alot more software on it. I dont think you will have any problems but incase you do there is a community of people here that can help you through any problems that possibly could occur.

I used to use customapache only then moved to custombuild I had no problems. Custombuild was created to add support for suphp initially but now has alot more software on it. I dont think you will have any problems but incase you do there is a community of people here that can help you through any problems that possibly could occur.

Thanks for the input.

I will probably be moving to CustomBuild in the near future. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well and give their thoughts.

Back