Server Migration and Customer Respect

Major Tom

In the interest of working together to solve our problems...

Since there seems to be an issue for some hosts with data loss and server downtime after migrating to DirectAdmin, I'm wondering what is the best way to handle support requests from your customers.

Since there seems to be an issue for some hosts with data loss and server downtime after migrating to DirectAdmin

I have never heard of this AFTER migrating to DirectAdmin. There may be data loss and downtime DURING the migration IF a host does not know what they are doing.

IMHO the best way is to not have any support requests because of a migration. I have moved thousands of domains and the only support requests had more to do with php being updated than switching a control panel.

We have had a few issues with Tech Support after server moves; I'm afraid floyd's circumstance may not be the norm.

We always let our clients know in advance, and acknowledging that many of our clients never read our notices, we try to do our migrations during what we consider off hours (generally Sunday night after 9pm is best for almost everyone).

Then of course we're friendly and honest with the support calls that do come in, and we always accept the blame for the problem and focus on the solution.

It works for us.

Jeff

floyd's circumstance may not be the norm.

I control the circumstances, not the other way around. But yes people taking control of their circumstances is not the norm.

I guess I am just obsessive about thinking things through before moving people.

When I moved people from an old standard server that was running old stuff to a new server with DA I just thought it through. The two servers were completely different. But I thought about each thing that would have to be done. I wrote down a list. I wrote scripts to handle different aspects of backing people up and then adding them to the new server. Do test runs to see what happens. Yes there was a lot to think about. But I spent a lot less time planning that handling support issues.

But Jeff is also right. Be honest and friendly and do what has to be done to fix any problems you may encounter. Never be irritated with the customer, whatever the issue its not their fault if something doesn't work when you make a server change.

But remember you can have the power to control the server move.

I have never heard of this AFTER migrating to DirectAdmin. There may be data loss and downtime DURING the migration IF a host does not know what they are doing.

IMHO the best way is to not have any support requests because of a migration. I have moved thousands of domains and the only support requests had more to do with php being updated than switching a control panel.

Okay.. Good point. "DURING" a migration would have been a better way to put it.

"Friendly and honest," seems the smart way to go, but Jeff, to your point
We always let our clients know in advance, and acknowledging that many of our clients never read our notices, we try to do our migrations during what we consider off hours
Isn't it irritating when customers say, "I didn't get the notice," especially when there are important instructions they needed to follow. What then?

You could alway wait for a reply from them before proceeding with the migration.

You could alway wait for a reply from them before proceeding with the migration.
Except of course when you can't. There may be a reason you have to move between servers on short notice.

I, too, have scripts and procedures in writing for just about everything we do; once you've moved past the single-person-runs-the-whole-company phase you really need to do that.

Jeff

Back