How to set max number of recipients

AgoraHosting

Verified User
Greetings,

How can we set the max number of recipients for the mailboxes created using DA?

This is very important in avoiding our customers from sending spam emails. (SMTP authentication is not enough)

Also, if possible we want to set the maximum size of attachments sent in each email, as well as limit the quota of each mailbox to 6MB and we don't want the user panel to change this value.

We will be glad if you can provide clear answers that provide us how to set these up...

Thanks!

Hello,

Limit number of recipients:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_14.html#IX1267

So you should be able to setup something like this in your /etc/exim.conf (top section):

recipients_max = 10
recipients_max_reject = true

For the message size, use:

message_size_limit = 1M

for 1 megabyte.

To set the quota to 6 meg for everyone, edit the "virtual_localdelivery:" section, and set the quota= line to:

quota=6M

Then restart exim.

John

thenks

Very useful and opportunely. Now i'll silence spamers.
BTW, about limits:

quota = ${if eq {$domain}{my.cool.domain}{${if exists{/etc/virtual/${domain}/quota}{${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/${domain}/quota}{$value}{0}}}{0}}}{20M}}

Usual limits for me, 20Mb for overs.

Limit number of recipients:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_14.html#IX1267

So you should be able to setup something like this in your /etc/exim.conf (top section):

recipients_max = 10
recipients_max_reject = true
This is very helpful code and I'd like to add it to the next SpamBlocker release.

I'd like some input on what the max number of recipients we should allow.

Note that this could affect mailing lists if lists are sending to a lot of email addresses on your server.

100?

200?

Less?

More?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeff

Interesting question. I currently have customers with mail list that have more than 500 legit subscribers. So long as we have the ability to modify the limits to meet our needs and those of our customers, I see no problem with it. But if it is something that can't be modified..... that could cause problems for us.

500 legit subscribers on the same server?

I haven't checked to see if this affects outgoing email as well as incoming. If it does, then it's a fairly useless setting for sites hosting email lists.

Jeff

I'd like some input on what the max number of recipients we should allow.

Note that this could affect mailing lists if lists are sending to a lot of email addresses on your server.

100?
200?
Less?
More?
Any suggestions?

recipients_max = 5
As far as i know, mailing lists scripts send one mail to one recipients. So recipients_max is not affect on a mailing lists.

recipients_max = 5
As far as i know, mailing lists scripts send one mail to one recipients. So recipients_max is not affect on a mailing lists.
That will be too less i suppose. 25 may be a decent number.

Yes, Majordomo sends one email per recipient. But many list scripts and autoresponder scripts used by your clients are much more efficient.

50?

Jeff

Back