IPs for Nameserver

rajeevk

Verified User
I am sorry if I am asking something too trivial.

My Virtual Private Server provider has give me one IP to work with. I would like to create my own name servers so that when I create accounts for my clients, I can have their nameservers pointed to the one that I created, lets say ns1.rajeevk.com and ns2.rajeevk.com

Does this mean that I need to buy two more static IPs from my VPS provider?

Also, the ip that I have been given is 67.5.47.34. However, when I go to the IP setting under DA, the netmask shows 255.255.255.0 . Shouldn't it be 255.0.0.0? I cannot change this or delete it.

Please help!

Last edited:
rajeevk said:
You'll either need someone else to do your slave DNS, or you'll need to get one more static IP#.
Also, the ip that I have been given is 67.5.47.34. However, when I go to the IP setting under DA, the netmask shows 255.255.255.0 . Shouldn't it be 255.0.0.0? I cannot change this or delete it.
Good, since changing it might break your network connectivity. What makes you think it should be 255.0.0.0?

Jeff

Last edited:
67.5.47.34 is class A ip address (Network.Host.Host.Host).. That is why I thought the network mask should be 255.0.0.0 . I probably need to get my book out and learn about net masking again :eek:

67.5.47.34 is class A ip address (Network.Host.Host.Host).. That is why I thought the network mask should be 255.0.0.0 . I probably need to get my book out and learn about net masking again :eek:

And my IP#s at home start with 67 as well; does that mean I own the network? Or that you do?

No, class A networks have been broken up quite some time ago (see CIDR); they're often meaningless today.

Either that or I actually own 1/255th of the Internet address space, and I'm only letting your colo company have a few IP#s out of the goodness of my heart.

Actually, since my data center IPs start with 65, I own 2/255ths of the Internet address space.

Yeah right :) .

Usually (but not always), you can figure out what the mask should be (after CIDR allocation) by looking at the relationship between your IP# and your gateway IP#.

I only wish I controlled almost 33 million IP#s :) , and what you really have is a pseudo class A network carved out of a class C network, or a piece of one. If you don't have all 256 IPs (and I'm betting you don't) then your colo company has you on a network shared with other servers.

Jeff

rajeevk said:

No. You can use your main system IP as a nameserver also, you only need 1 additional IP address.

Chris

I actually answered that part of the post as well, Chris, but I messed up on the quoting so it was hard to see it.

I've fixed it.

Jeff

Now I feel really dumb. I learned about class A,B and C IP schemes in a class that I took back in 2000. I am upset that they never told us about CIDR :mad:

Usually (but not always), you can figure out what the mask should be (after CIDR allocation) by looking at the relationship between your IP# and your gateway IP#.

Can you give me a quick example? Also, how do I figure out what CIDR my VPS provider has been assigned?

Thanks

rajeevk said:
Now I feel really dumb. I learned about class A,B and C IP schemes in a class that I took back in 2000. I am upset that they never told us about CIDR
They should have. Ask for your money back :) .
Can you give me a quick example? Also, how do I figure out what CIDR my VPS provider has been assigned?
I can't; it's a bit too complex for a quick example; there have been books written about it.

But there's a pretty good explanation here:

http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/cidr.html

Since your CIDR allocation was carved out of a class A, and since your netmask is 255.255.255.0, your IPs come out of a full 256k psuedo C allocation. But unless your ISP gave you all 256 IP#s, you're just one of several clients on their network. So you'll have to ask them about your network information.

Jeff

Back