SSL Certificates

rumrugby

Verified User
Hi there,

If i have a website - "test123.com" and i want to add a security certificate to just "secure.test123.com" how do i do this. If i add i SSL certificate just normally it just adds it to the whole domain and i only want the security on "secure.test123.com". How do i do this?

Thanks

Create the subdomain "secure" and add the SSL as per normal When you upload your files, upload them to the "secure" folder within the private_html folder. Then the address secure.yourdomain.tld will be SSL secured. The rest of your site if uploaded to the public_html folder will remain unsecured.

Hello,

To make it *only* show up on secure.test123.com, then secure.test123.com would need to have it's own IP address.

You'd create test123.com on any IP addres (shared, owned whatever, doesn't matter). But you'd then create a whole new user with his own owned IP address. Then paste the SSL certificate normally.

John

Owning an IP

How does one go about convincing DirectAdmin that a user owns an IP? DA won't let me even try to install a certificate because it says, "You can only add a certificate if you own the ip you are using." My account is a reseller account which I use primarily as a user. I have assigned the IP to the user but that's not enough. I have deleted it from the user's account and now can't assign it again. I deleted the domain name and then added it. It is given the same IP but that IP still isn't on the user's list. It has remained on the reseller's list all along. It records its status as "shared" but I can't even free it when there's no domain on it. I have not yet seena way to give the status of "owned."

I have seriously considered giving up on DA and writing the configurations by hand but I'm afraid that DA will come back within a minute and correct my changes back to where it thinks they belong.

IP addresses are assigned on a user account basis, not domain. So you either have to delete all users that use that IP or move them to a different one, then you should be able to free it and do what you want with it.
The IP address is not being assigned to the user because it has the status shared, where a shared IP address can not be set to a user.
Once you have gotten it to the free status, selecting that IP address when creating the user account should dedicate the ip to that user account properly.

certificate storage

Somehow, after several attempts at deleting and readding the domain, it got to a point where one of my IPs had a status of used. I don't think I could repeat the process.

It has now allowed me to upload certificate and key and looked pretty much like what site-helper.com says it should. I just wonder where the certificate went to. I checked the config files for the domain and they say that the certificate is in /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt. I look there and I find a snake oil certificate. When I try to access the site, I also get the snake oil certificate. I figure it has to be somewhere and /etc/httpd seems bad as it would then have trouble differentiating the IPs for different certificates. A find / -name '*.crt' finds many files which are not right.

Second matter resolved

I don't feel too stupid, just a might chagrined. When one is posting a certificate, one has to click on the little radio button that says one is posting a certificate. The default was something like use the snake oil certificate that the server was born with.

It's all happy now.

Back