DNS doesnt seem to be working!?

rumrugby

Verified User
hi,

1. i have installed DA, everything went fine,
2. DNS is running fine on the server.
3. I made rumrugby.com.au the ns1 & ns2 for the server through my domain registrar.
4. I have followed all the instuctions to get the DNS side of DA working and everything seemed to be Ok.
5. I have pointed several domains at ns1.rumrugby.com.au and ns2.rumrugby.com.au and i have waited at least 72 hours but when i try to display the pages in internet explorer it just says that it cant be displayed.

What do i do now?
ns1.rumrugby.com.au - 220.244.200.225
ns2.rumrugby.com.au - 220.244.200.226

i went to dnsstuff.com and it said none of the domain names which are pointed to ns1." and ns2." are working; they are just getting errors :( .

i have a few domains pointed to my nameserver:

rumrugby.com
rumrugby.com.au
funnelwebhosting.com
funnelwebhosting.com

i hope somebody can help me,

thanks

i think you did set your DNS correctly, but you have to create a package for each domain, did you do that?

I am having a very similar issue.

The dns on the server itself is not working, but I can point to the server from a remote dns database to the IP and it works correctly.

Anything set up by directadmin is what is not working.

And the error is a dns error.

Any ideas appreciated.

I just checked out rumrugby.com whois record to make sure that it was working properly. It has the DNS servers and ip's are resolving as they should from the root DNS servers.

The problem must be your DNS servers. One the ip address 220.244.200.225 and .226 are not pingable and they should be unless you have a firewall or something like that. So I would assume the server is not reachable.

So is one of these address assigned to this server? If it is assigned are you able to contact it via that address? If you can do that did you assign via the Reseller part of DA both ip address to your name servers?

It seems like you have the server improperly setup.

AztecOne said:
I am having a very similar issue.

The dns on the server itself is not working, but I can point to the server from a remote dns database to the IP and it works correctly.

Anything set up by directadmin is what is not working.

And the error is a dns error.

Any ideas appreciated.

Its not possible for us to help unless you give us specific domains. If you want post it here and we can start to help, if you don't want to then use dnsstuff.com to figure out where the problem is.

hi,

the reason it was not pingable is that i took the server down for that night, it always is normally pingable, is it true that i must create a package for each domain???

Thanks, but it turned out the network running the server was totally screwed up.

The IP worked, I started moving names to the network and they were all propagating quicker than the network was updating their own records.

It took days for them to recognize new sites on their own network.

I am moving the set-up to a different network that I have worked with before.

Thanks everyone for the assistance, I will be back.

Christy

Hello,

I receive the support email from you. As a followup it was a firewall blocking the dns ports. Stopped iptables and dns works.

John

thankyou John for you quick response, i do not think that i have ever seen such a quick response. thankyou everyone from this tread that tried to help. :) Now i just need to know how to modify the IPtables to allow the DNS through without being firewalled.

thanks!

Back