Switch to Dovecot: build todovecot

Manie

Verified User
Hi all,
I'm currently making the switch to dovecot, since the load on IMAP is gettind to big for mbox to handle.

I am waiting for like 30 minutes now, and can read:
7180 emails converted for / var/spool/virtual/domain.com/info : 134 Meg

Not I am a bit scared because:
A. Imap isn't working during this switch, right? (since my outlook won't give me any email. )

B. This is still the first user in the conversion, so I'm very VERY scared this will take the entire weekend? (Which offcourse is to long for e-mail to not work)

Can anyone tell me if this will speed up or how long this will take for ~300 users?

Well after 2 hours waiting I decided to cancel the conversion.
Seemed to be a 135Meg file with over 10.000 spam e-mails in it.
( Don't know why it takes so long to convert) But deleted them all and that made a great difference in the next run on the files.

Seems to be over now, and I can connect to my imap mail again :)
How can I see this is the new maildir that is used and not the old mbox?

Last edited:
If you simply restarted it you've got a lot of duplicate emails in the mailboxes that were run before you stopped it.

After sending an email and before you pick it up simply look to see if it's in the mbox file in /var, or in the Maildir structure (in /home/USERNAME/Maildir for the main email account and in /homeUSERNAME/imap for all the virtual users).

Jeff

Thansk Jeff, no duplicated because it was sonly the first user.
His default [email protected] e-mail was full with spam (use did not set spamassassin) Deleted all their email since they never read it anyway and started over again.

Regards,
Armand

Back